iPhone and as a wireless modem. By “tethering” an iPhone 3G to a laptop, users with jailbroken iPhone 3G’s could take full advantage of their high-speed wireless data network on a full-fledged computer – all it required was a simple terminal command and a couple web browser tweaks.owners with the warranty-voiding fortitude to open up their handset to unofficial third-party applications – the process known as the “jailbreak” – have enjoyed the option to use their iPhone 3G
Now, there’s an even easier way to tether your iPhone 3G (and iPhone – but you’ll be limited to EDGE data speeds) to your laptop. Enter PDA Net for the iPhone.
Just like the WMWiFiRouter and WalkingHotspot applications that aim to turn your Windows Mobile or S60 smartphone into a portable WiFi hotspot, PDA Net turns your iPhone and iPhone 3G into a portable WiFi router. PDA Net allows you to connect your computer to your iPhone 3G via WiFi and surf the web, check emails, and send instant messages over your handset’s 3G (or EDGE) data connection.
Whereas the proxy-based iPhone 3G tether solution limited web access to Firefox-only web browsing (proxies being what they are), PDA Net allows for unfettered access to all things wireless. Browse your favorite websites, play online games, send emails and instant messages, or even buy iTunes music – it’s all good with PDA Net!
PDA Net is available for jailbroken iPhones through Cydia. The PDA Net application is included in the default Cydia application repository sources, so a simple search for “PDA” should find you the PDA Net app.
Once found, simply install the “PDA Net” application and behold the power of your iPhone 3G as portable WiFi router.
Here’s a quick rundown to getting your iPhone or iPhone 3G working as a walking hotspot:
- Jailbreak your iPhone or iPhone 3G. Hit up our iPhone jailbreak guide to find out how.
- Fire up “Cydia” (it’s automatically installed when you jailbreak your iPhone using our guide).
- Search for “PDA Net” (find the little magnifying glass icon along the lower edge of window).
- Install “PDA Net.”
- Create an ad-hoc (computer-to-computer) network on your laptop (or desktop).
- Connect your iPhone to the ad-hoc network (via WiFi settings).
- Fire up the “PDA Net” application.
- Make sure your WiFi connection is active.
- Enjoy the full power of high-speed wireless data!
Sell Your Old Cell Phone for Cash
Select your device below to begin:
Buy a New Cell Phone
Best Sellers from AT&T
New Releases from AT&T
See all cell phones from AT&T
Best Sellers from Sprint
New Releases from Sprint
See all cell phones from Sprint
Best Sellers from Verizon
New Releases from Verizon
See all cell phones from Verizon