Anyone who reads my posts here with any regularity knows I love photography, and the iPhone has been such an excellent camera because I always have it with me. Over the years, the quality of the iPhone’s camera has improved, and so have the apps that support it. Camera+ is definitely one of my favorite iPhone apps, and today it received a huge update that adds new features and improvements.
If you’re unfamiliar with Camera+, you can read more about and watch a video demo here. The app essentially helps you take better photos with your iPhone camera – it includes a grid option and image stabilization features – and it lets you make your photos a little more interesting with filters and other tweaks.
Here’s what’s included in this update:
- PERFORMANCE!! Many areas of the app have been significantly optimized, especially effects processing. You’ll see vast improvements when trying out the different effects/borders and when saving/sharing photos that have effects applied.
- MOAR CAMERA BUTTON!! We’ve added several more instances of the camera button so that you can instantly get to shooting from almost anywhere in the app.
- We’ve changed the icon for multi-select so that it’s at least 473% more understandable. Yes, it’s inconsistent with what Apple does in the Photos app, but it actually makes sense now. You’re welcome.
- You can now choose the order which your photos will be shared.
- We’ve added options so that you can have your photos automatically saved to your Camera Roll as you shoot them.
- The usability of the Info panel has been substantially improved and is now much more consistent with the rest of the Lightbox (ok, ok… we moved a couple of buttons, but we promise that you’ll quickly adjust to the new layout and you’ll like it much better before long).
- You can now get info on photos from the Lightbox without having to zoom them first.
- We added a menu option to turn geotagging on and off.
- You can now tap-and-hold most buttons to display an associated action sheet with additional options.
- The Copy button has been removed from the zoomed photo toolbar and has been replaced as a tap-and-hold popup.
- We fixed a bug where photo previews were incorrect when an effect on them was set to a level less than 100%.
- Location services are now only active when you’re in the camera view, saving precious battery life (thanks, jL Fotography).
- Geotags and metadata are now retained when emailing photos.
- The Pinhole effect has been dramatically improved.
- We’ve improved the quality of several of the effects.
- Vintage, Offset, Film, and Sprockets borders have been improved.
- Most of the analog-style effects have more of a random feel to them now.
- We fixed a bug where some people were having trouble sharing their photos on TheFaceBook.
There’s really no reason to be on the fence about this app if you take tons of photos with your iPhone. For just $0.99, it’s really a no-brainer.