If you’re sick of the standard Safari browser on the iPhone or the iPad, then you’ll be happy to know that Opera Mini 6 is now available of iOS and it has been optimized for whichever screen you’re using.
The new update of Opera Mini 6 includes:
- Updated design with a fresh new look and feel
- Super smooth pinch-to-zoom and panning
- Support for iPhone 4 retina display, iPad, and iPad 2 devices
- Direct share on Facebook, Twitter, and My Opera
- Open new page in background tab
- Improved international font support for Arabic, Chinese, Vietnamese, and other non-latin languages
I’ve played around with Opera Mini 6 briefly on my iPad and it felt really good. Pages load quickly, you have pinch to zoom and it feels fast.
If you recall, Opera Mini landing on the iOS platform was kind of a big deal because Apple didn’t allow apps which are “redundant.” The company got around that though and it has seen great success in the iOS space.
Opera Mini 6 is able to be faster than Safari because it uses proxy technology – your requests are sent to an Opera server, the page is compressed and it’s shot back to you. The idea is that this will help you save bandwidth while also allowing you to browse the web faster.
You can download the free web browser here (iTunes link). Go ahead and get it and let us know what you think.