Verizon just announced the Samsung Stratosphere, the first 4G LTE smartphone that has a physical QWERTY keyboard. If you’ve been yearning for an LTE Android device, but woefully declined the current offerings because of the lack of a QWERTY keyboard, you can rejoice a little. As far as design, however, it’s not too far off from Sprint’s Epic 4G, equipped with a 4-inch 800 x 480 Super AMOLED display and the slide-out keyboard.
The Samsung Stratosphere runs Android 2.3 Gingerbread, has a 1GHz processor (not dual-core, sorry) and is skinned with Samsung’s TouchWiz UI. I guess it’s not a shabby phone as far as Android handsets go, and for $149.99 on a two-year contract, you could probably do worse. It’ll be available on October 13 from Verizon Wireless retail stores and online.
Features a 4-inch Super AMOLED™ Display, 1GHz Processor and B2B Enterprise Solutions
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. –Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced the Samsung Stratosphere™, a Samsung Galaxy S® smartphone, will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com beginning Oct. 13.
The slim Samsung Stratosphere is the first 4G LTE smartphone from Verizon Wireless equipped with a 5-row QWERTY keyboard and designed with Samsung’s 4-inch Super AMOLED™ display. Additionally, the Stratosphere supports enhanced B2B-enabled connectivity services from Cisco™, the most comprehensive mobile implementation of Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync® and support for secure remote device management from Sybase.
Ideal for the business professional, the Samsung Stratosphere offers robust data management support. The Stratosphere will support Samsung’s Enterprise Platform enhancements such as VPN, encryption and Mobile Device Management (MDM). The Stratosphere will also come equipped with Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync® (EAS), features such as direct push, email, calendar, contact sync, Global Address List (GAL) as well as EAS policies including storage card encryption, device encryption and simple & complex password support, all essential for streamlining business on the smartphone.
4G LTE– customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area
· 5-row QWERTY keyboard
· Samsung Super AMOLED™ Screen Technology – Brilliant screen makes watching movies, viewing videos and playing games come to life, even in bright light and outdoor environments
Android 2.3, Gingerbread– support for Google Mobile™ Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™, Google Maps™ and access to more than 250,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
· Samsung 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application Processor
Front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera for video chat and 5 megapixel rear-facing camera with auto focus and flash (720p HD playback/480p DVD-quality recording; playback on Stratosphere screen in HD-like quality)
Mobile Hotspot Capability – share 4G connection with up to 8 Wi-Fi®-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to 5 devices
AllShareÔ – Enables wireless connectivity through Digital Living Network Alliance® (DLNA®), so customers can send multimedia content to other DLNA Certified®-enabled devices such as TVs and laptops
· Samsung Media Hub – Samsung’s own content service, offering a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase
· Bluetooth® 3.0 Technology – Support for headset, hands-free, stereo, phonebook access, and object push for vCard and vCalendar
· Multiple video file formats supported, including DivX and XviD support
· Wi-Fi® Connectivity (802.11 a/b/g/n)
Samsung’s enterprise mobility solutions will provide flexibility and connectivity for mobile workforces, ensuring that users are able to operate more efficiently on–the-move.
· Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync® (EAS) – Communicate directly with your Microsoft Exchange Server enabling push email, calendar, and contacts
· Support for Cisco AnyConnect 2.1 SSL VPN – Supports access to private corporate networks using industry-standard VPN protocols with enhanced security of 4G LTE networks helps users tap into VPN networks with no waiting
· Encryption Services – Users and IT administrators can initiate a remote wipe command to erase private information
· Support for Sybase Afaria® – Mobile device management (MDM) capabilities that allows an integrated experience for the end user in the event it is required by their IT department or corporate policy
Pricing and data packages:
The Samsung Stratosphere will be available on Oct. 13 in Verizon Wireless Communication Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $149.99 after a $50 mail in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card; upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cards are accepted.
Customers that purchase a Samsung Stratosphere smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data.