We were pretty excited when we got word that the iPhone would be getting its own Gmail application, as iOS’ mail app is hardly anything to write home about. Well, not only is the iPhone getting Gmail love — The iPad and iPod Touch are supported as well.
The Gmail application for iOS combines all the great features from the web application and mobile app. Google focused on three main areas when creating Gmail for iOS: Speed, efficiency, and touch. The design of the application resembles the newer look Google is attempting to give itself with the desktop Gmail site and a hint of Android Ice Cream Sandwich.
Here’s a quick rundown of some of the features you’ll find in the new Gmail app.
- Get alerted to new messages with push notifications and sounds
- Find an email in seconds with search across your entire inbox
- Autocomplete email addresses from your Gmail contacts or select from your device’s address book
- Upload photos with a click using the new attachment button in compose view
- On iPad, navigate your inbox and read your mail simultaneously with split view
- Focus on your important messages first with Priority Inbox
- Quickly scan countless emails on the same subject with threaded conversations
- Organize your mail by archiving, labelling, starring, deleting and reporting spam
- Pull down your inbox to rapidly refresh if you’re eager for new mail
- Swipe right to view your labels without ever leaving your inbox
- Swiftly scroll through dozens of emails just by sliding your finger
Head over to the App Store to grab Gmail now for your iOS device.
[UPDATE] Well, that was short-lived. The iOS Gmail app seemed to not work so well and it’s been pulled.
Update: 11/2/11: Earlier today we launched a new Gmail app for iOS. Unfortunately, it contained a bug which broke notifications and caused users to see an error message when first opening the app. We’ve removed the app while we correct the problem, and we’re working to bring you a new version soon. Everyone who’s already installed the app can continue to use it.
Hopefully Google can get the app fixed and usable soon.
Sell Your Old Cell Phone for Cash
Select your device below to begin:
Buy a New Cell Phone
Best Sellers from AT&T
New Releases from AT&T
See all cell phones from AT&T
Best Sellers from Sprint
New Releases from Sprint
See all cell phones from Sprint
Best Sellers from Verizon
New Releases from Verizon
See all cell phones from Verizon