Verizon has a new software update page dedicated to the Motorola Droid Bionic from where we learn that the update is imminent. Firmware version 5.5.893 is/will be a 54.5 MB heavy download that improves many of the smartphone’s features while fixing quite a few bugs.
Here’s what’s included in this software release:
Email, Messaging & Data
- Improved stability of data connection on 3G and 4G.
- Fixed lockup that could occur while browsing during the handoff from Wi-Fi to 4G.
- “Data Roaming” pop-up message will display once when roaming in CDMA internationally.
- Jump to the most recent message after changing the device orientation while in message list view.
- The number of devices supported by Mobile Hotspot has increased to 8.
- Fixes have been deployed to keep the device from becoming stuck on a black screen and requiring a battery pull to recover.
- Improvements in device stability help avoid device power cycles.
- When connected to a Bluetooth headset or HDMI cable, the device will no longer lock up and power cycle.
- Improved cold SIM card activation speed.
- “Low memory” warnings when using the Lapdock have been reduced.
- An improvement to the camera’s auto focus will reduce the shutter response time and enhance the quality of captured imagery.
- During Location Based Service setup, a Location Privacy message will display.
- Fixed issue where the device would automatically power back up after being powered down.
- The following Lapdock updates were made: Improved stability; the display will not turn off after use; the calling screen will no longer be recreated, improving performance; reduced frequency of the “Low Memory” warning message.
- Use a wired headset without the interruption of a high pitched tone.
- Volume on the “Low Battery” alert tone has been lowered while user is on a call.
- Within the notification area, the Visual Voice Mail alert stating the server is not responding after a power-up has been removed.
Applications & Widgets
- Playback media can be heard while using a Bluetooth headset.
- Place a call to the appropriate recipient using the Contact widget.
- Improvements in the use of the Messaging application.
- After updating the contact database from the Messaging App, the Messaging UI will display the latest contact information.
- When moving applications to the SD card, shortcuts to these Apps will remain.
- Properly post and play videos to Facebook.
- Fixed issue causing apps to disappear from the app tray when moved to the SD card.
- Ringtones purchased from the Verizon media store can now be saved to the device.
- Apps can now be launched from the “Recent” menu in the app tray.
There you have it folks. Hopefully you won’t have to wait for too long to get the update.