Sprint is teaming-up with accessibility-focused Android app developer Apps4Android to launch 5 accessibility-themed Sprint ID packs. Available for download next week, these were developed with the support of the U.S. Department of Education’s Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center (RERC) for Wireless Technologies. The packs include:
1. Accessibility ID Pack
Includes applications necessary to operate a smartphone without the need to see or read what is being displayed on the screen:
- Eyes-Free Shell – turns a smartphone into an eyes-free communication device by providing one-touch access to Android applications.
- Keyboard Tutor – enables user to understand the layout of the buttons and keyboards on smartphones without being able to see them by pressing any key and hearing that key spoken aloud.
- Rock Lock – eyes-free music player that talks to you.
- Voice Search – search your phone, the web and nearby locations by speaking, instead of typing.
2. Accessible Entertainment ID Pack
Comes with apps that read RSS news feeds and navigate users through YouTube entertainment content using text-to-speech voices.
- IDEAL Self-Voicing News Feed Reader
- IDEAL Self-Voicing YouTube Viewer
3. Accessible Navigation ID Pack
Includes GPS-based applications that provide navigational assistance to users who are either driving or walking from one location to another.
- Intersection Explorer – helps blind and low-vision users get an understanding of a neighborhood before venturing out and while on the go.
- Talking Compass – Speaks your current heading and provides haptic feedback as you cross over any of the cardinal directions.
- WalkyTalky – An accessible navigation aid that periodically updates the status bar with your current location to the nearest street address.
4. Accessible Daily Living ID Pack
Comes with applications designed to help individuals with print disabilities identify and locate items around the home and workplace.
- IDEAL Barcode Reader – reads the product description if a UPC is scanned; reads the embedded string for a QR code.
- IDEAL Barcode Maker – allows users to create their own talking barcodes.
- IDEAL Magnifier – turns an Android smartphone into a portable video magnifier.
5. Reading Made Easier ID Pack
Helps individuals more easily read smartphone and Web-based documents, and surf the Web.
- IDEAL AndroidVox Browser
- IDEAL ePub Creator – for converting .doc, .docx and .pdf documents to ePubs, which can then be read using IDEAL ePub Reader.
- Speed Reader – Enables users to achieve very high reading speeds using a method called Rapid Serial Visual Presentation (RSVP).
Pretty much all Sprint Android devices support Sprint ID packs, including the Samsung Epic 4G, Motorola PHOTON 4G, Samsung Conquer 4G, Sanyo Zio, Samsung Transform, LG Optimus S and Samsung Replenish.