Folks looking beyond party-sponsored mobile apps will want to check out the brand new CNN-TIME Convention Floor Pass app to keep up with the latest news from the 2012 political conventions. Available as a free download, the application features 24/7 breaking news updates and alerts, daily analysis and commentary, early access to polls, photos and video from the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. Here’s what you can get:
- News and Analysis – a constant stream of articles and multimedia features from the 2012 conventions. Simply select a section from the sidebar to dive deep with up to 50 stories from the app’s news feed or go straight to the “Top 5″ news items of the day. In addition, the app will feature a special morning edition of CNN’s Political Gut Check.
- TIME Cover of the Day – each day of the conventions, TIME will release a cover of the day and corresponding cover story featuring news and analysis from the conventions.
- Speeches – a library of convention speeches given by legislators and newsmakers from both sides of the aisle.
- Guide, Maps & Local Info – includes calendar of events, parties and other convention activities, as well as maps of the St. Petersburg Times Forum in Tampa, and the Time Warner Cable Arena and Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte. Moreover, there’s the list of the bars, restaurants, coffee shops, taxi services, and retail stores near the convention halls in both cities.
- Social Central – from here you will be able to keep up with the election Twitter buzz and filter through it by convention-related hash tags. Twitter and Foursquare users can tweet and check-in from directly within the app.
- Bump ‘n’ Find State Badge Quest – unlock the first of 50 state badges by registering with your state. Then using the Bump technology you can collect additional states and share their badges with other CNN-TIME Convention Floor Pass users through the app’s “Badges” option.
Again, the CNN/TIME Convention Floor Pass app is free to download and I guess a must-have for political news junkies.