The latest Distimo Report examines which mobile social networks are doing well in which countries. The major findings are:
- In the past two years, the social category grew much faster than the overall app store average. The download volume among the top 100 most popular applications in the Apple App Store for iPhone in the US surged by 43%. However, the volume among the top 100 most popular social applications was 193% higher in July 2012 than it was in July 2010.
- Country wise, the United States is the most social savvy as the download volume in the social category is 20% of that of the Top Overall apps. On the other hand, users in Europe and South East Asia are the least social-minded on mobile. In most of the countries in those regions, this percentage does not exceed 10%.
- The most popular mobile social network aggregated across all countries during the period July 2010 – June 2011 and July 2011 – June 2012, was Facebook. However, in many Asian countries, Facebook was not the most popular anymore in July 2011 – June 2012. Applications like LINE, WeChat and Viber took over the leading position of Facebook.
- Instagram became the second most popular social app on iPhone within one year (between July 2011 – June 2012) aggregated over the 20 largest countries.
- Among 10 of the largest markets in July 2012, Facebook clearly was not the largest social network application in terms of downloads anymore. Instagram, in particular, reaped a lot more downloads in July 2012, and other applications like Twitter, Skype and Whatsapp were also more dominant.
And you can download the full report from here…