Apple used its September event to announce the next generation iPhone, the iPhone 5. The new iPhone, which Phil Schiller calls the most beautiful iPhone yet, boasts of the following specs:
- Slimmed down body comes in at 7.6 mm – 18% thinner than the iPhone 4S
- Weighs in at 112 grams, 20% lighter than the 4S
- 4″ display with 1,136 x 640 resolution and 326 PPI
- New A6 chip which is two times faster CPU and Graphics compared to the iPhone 4S
- Global LTE and HSPA+ connectivity for Sprint, AT&T and Verizon in the U.S., Deutsche Telekom and EE in Europe, and various other carriers
- WiFi – 802.11 a/b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and 5GHz for up to 150 Mbps speeds
- Single chip for voice and data, and single radio with dynamic antenna
- Battery should exceed that offered by the iPhone 4S, with 8 hours of 3G or LTE talk time/browsing, and 10 hours on WiFi browsing
- 8 megapixel iSight camera with backside illumination, hybrid AR filter, and f/2.4 aperture. Essentially the same as the iPhone 4S but smaller to account for the thinness of the iPhone 5. Also has dynamic low light mode, precision lens alignment and sapphire crystal. Apple has also added panoramic mode, finally!
- Front facing camera got a nice update as well, with 720p video and backside illumination
- 8-pin connector, codenamed Lightning. Combined with Thunderbolt, it’s very very frightening. Don’t worry if you have tons of old connectors, there’ll be accessories for that.
- As expected, the iPhone 5 will feature 5 rows of icons plus the customary dock
- All of Apple’s software has been updated for the larger screen. You can now see more email, a full 5-day work week on your calendar, etc.
- Any non-updated app on the App Store will run centered in the resolution it was designed for, with black boxes on either side of the display. Apps can be updated for the new resolution quickly, so this shouldn’t be an issue for long.
- 44% better color saturation, full SRGB rendering
The next iPhone will go on sale at the end of this month with prices starting at $199 for a 16GB model. The iPhone 5 will come in white and black versions, with both having the two-toned backing system we’ve seen in previous leaks.