RetroArch has single handedly made playing retro classics on Android a breeze. Android has its fair share of decent retro console emulators, but until now, multiple emulators were needed to play their respective games. RetroArch lays waste to these apps by emulating pretty much any retro system you can think of, all in one app.
Here’s a full list of the consoles that RetroArch emulates:
- PlayStation 1 (emulator: PCSX ReARMed)
- Super Nintendo (emulator: SNES9x Next)
- Nintendo Entertainment System (emulator: FCEUmm / NEStopia)
- GameBoy / GameBoy Color (emulator: Gambatte)
- GameBoy Advance (emulator: VBA Next)
- Arcade (emulator: Final Burn Alpha)
- Neo Geo Pocket Color (emulator: Mednafen NGP)
- Virtual Boy (emulator: Mednafen VB)
- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- Sega Master System/Sega Game Gear (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- Sega CD / Mega CD (emulator: Genesis Plus GX)
- PC Engine / PC Engine CD (emulator: Mednafen PCE Fast)
- WonderSwan Color / Crystal (emulator: Mednafen Wonderswan)
- Cave Story (game engine: NX Engine)
- Doom 1 / Doom 2 / Ultimate Doom / Final Doom (game engine: prBoom)
RetroArch utilizes on screen controls for play, making your smartphone screen an old school controller. If you’re like me and prefer a controller over the on-screen input, RetroArch also allows the addition of multiple USB and Bluetooth gamepads.
So if you’re looking to relive your childhood, head on over to the Google Play Store and check out this amazing free app, or if you need more convincing check RetroArch out in action below. Now were did I put my ROMs?