Microsoft announced a new entry in the Halo franchise today. Halo: Spartan Assault will be exclusively available on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8. The game is a top down arcade shooter, and it’s designed specifically for touch screen devices.
“Played from a top-down (as opposed to first-person) perspective, Halo: Spartan Assault mines some rich storytelling territory. Set in the years between Halo 3 and Halo 4, it offers new insights into the first missions of the Spartan Ops program, the history of the Human-Covenant wars, and the rise of Commander Sarah Palmer”
One very interesting feature is cross screen support. Like Galactic Reign or Skulls of the Shogun, Halo: Spartan Assault is designed to work hand-in-hand with Windows 8, allowing you to start a game on your PC or Tablet and pick it up on your phone where you left off.
This is a major salvo by Microsoft, using one of its biggest franchises to highlight its mobile platform. Windows phone is lacking in the games department, but a title with this level of polish and the Halo name is sure to draw some interest to Microsoft devices.
- Original “Halo” gameplay. An action-packed, single-player campaign spanning 25 missions in battles never before experienced in the Halo Universe, all played from a top-down camera view
- New and immersive storyline. An original story set between the events of “Halo 3″ and “Halo 4,” experience a new war with the Covenant, the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and the rise of Commander Sarah Palmer, all with best-in-class graphics and audio
- Built for simplicity. A unique fusion of touch and console like controls for easy pick-up-and-play gaming, with the added flexibility of keyboard and mouse controls on Windows 8 PCs and tablets
- Integration with “Halo 4.” Earn experience points (XP), all-new Achievements, and unlock emblems for your “Halo 4″ Spartan career, with additional integration features available after launch
- Nonstop competitive fun. Compete against friends in Leaderboards or hone your skills against an onslaught of Weekly Challenges while collecting more than 40 in-game Achievements and Medals
- In-app purchases. Grind to earn upgrades or speed up your training by purchasing credits for boosts, unique weapons or armor abilities
- Only on Windows. Available only on Windows 8 PCs and tablets and Windows Phone 8 devices.