When a smartphone explodes and a leg gets in the way

gs3-explode

Here is a distressing story from Le Matin about Fanny Schlatter, an 18-year-old woman from Switzerland, whose Galaxy S III handset exploded while she was carrying it in her pocket. She was at work and had to be rescued by her boss, who tore off her pants to remove the burning phone from her body. When all was said and done, the poor girl has a burnt phone and a scorched leg that received third degree burns from the incident.

Samsung Switzerland is looking into the incident and may send the phone to its headquarters in Korea for close examination. Unlike other exploding phones, this one was using the original OEM battery and not a cheap, third-party knockoff. There was no obvious cause of the explosion. Unfortunately, all devices have a certain failure rate, and it’s impossible to predict when or where a catastrophic event like this may occur.

[Via Android Beat and Le Matin]

  • http://silverfang77.tumblr.com/ Silver Fang

    I feel the back of my device and if it feels like it’s running hot, it doesn’t go in my pocket.

  • clintonl

    Never seen a s3 made with carbon fiber
    Maybe its a knockoff

Back to top ▴