The Internet Movie Database has been aggregating reviews, credits, box office data and more about the films and actors we love since its Usenet inception way back in 1990. It’s come a long way since then, most recently launching its own App for smartphones. Now a beautiful update for the app adds some great features. A shiny new UI, in app ticket purchases (through Fandango) and Amazon Mobile integration top the list of additions.
Here’s the change log from the iTunes entry for the IMDB app:
iPad and iPhone
– “Tickets, please!” You can now conveniently purchase movie tickets via the IMDb App (currently US-only).
– More bios for celebrities you know and love as well as for up-and-comers.
– Want to buy a movie or TV show on DVD or Blu-ray? “Search via Amazon Mobile” to the rescue. Requires that you have the Amazon Mobile app, but we provide a handy link if you don’t have it yet.
– Also, did you know you can tap the “Coming Soon” bar above the title on upcoming movies to add the release date as an event to your calendar?
– Bug fixes. Nasty tricksy bugsies. We hates them!
– We heard you. By popular demand, we’ve updated the movie and celebrity pages to include one-tap access to the full cast/full filmography (which, yes, scrolls vertically).
– You’ll see that cute little Watchlist flag almost everywhere now. Tap it to add movies and shows to your Watchlist (and tap-and-hold to add to your other lists as well).
It looks like the Android App got some love too, with a similar list of new features:
Movie tickets: You can now conveniently purchase movie tickets via the IMDb app. Currently available in the U.S. only.
Your Watchlist: Now you can filter and sort the movies and TV shows on your Watchlist. Looking for horror movies currently in theaters, or comedies available on DVD/Blu-ray? Your Watchlist can help you zoom in on what you want to watch, where you want to watch it.
We’ve made performance improvements to help pages scroll more smoothly and responsively, and fixed some bugs