Android users have been enjoying Google Maps’ built in transit tracking feature for years now, but today a popular iOS app provides another option for Android users’ transit needs. Transit App went live today in the Google Play Store.
A free download, Transit App works in 43 cities in the U.S. and Canada (you can see if your locale is included in the list below). It provides a simple, streamlined interface and transit info at a glance, using your location to show you the next arrival for nearby transit lines. It also has trip planning built-in and provides multiple options.
The reviews on the app’s Google Play entry are a little mixed, with folks’ experiences varying in different areas, and using different devices. For me, using my Galaxy S4 in Portland, it’s smooth as silk. I had no issues and the transit info was always accurate.
I’m sold. I use public transit often and while the tracking in Google Maps is usually accurate, it’s kind of a pain to use. Transit App proves that a dedicated app can be helpful, especially when you’re running late!
Check out the details and list of supported cities below, and grab the app at Google Play!
Transit gets you there. (works in 43 cities including NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC, Philadelphia)Wherever you are, just pull Transit out of your pocket and quickly see the next departure for all the public transit routes near you. Not sure how to go somewhere? Just let Transit know where you’re headed and our trip planner will map out the quickest way to get there.
The Transit App features:
- Schedules and itineraries for nearby routes (real-time where available)
- Multimodal trip planner giving you the 4 quickest ways to reach your destination
- Favorites, to keep the routes you frequently use at the top of the list
- Location offsetting to see transit routes at another location
- Always up-to-date data for all supported Transit agencies
Transit works with the following transit agencies
- New York City (NYC Subway*, MTA Buses*, NJ Transit, Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North Railroad, PATH, NICE, Staten Island Ferry)
- Paris (RATP*, SNCF Transilien)
- Mexico City (Metro, RTP, Metrobús, STE, Ferrocarriles Suburbanos)
- Toronto (TTC*, GO Transit, YRT*, Brampton Transit, Hamilton Street Railway, Grand River Transit, Guelph Transit)
- Montréal (STM, RTL, AMT*, STL*, autres CITs)
- Chicago (CTA*, Metra, Pace)
- Philadelphia (SEPTA*, NJ Transit, PATCO)
- San Francisco (MUNI*, BART*, AC Transit*, VTA, samTrans, Caltrain, Golden Gate Transit, County Connection*)
- Los Angeles (Metro*, Metrolink, RTA, OCTA, Burbank Bus, Torrance Transit)
- Boston (MBTA*, Massport)
- Vancouver (TransLink*, BC Rapid Transit Company, West Coast Express, False Creek Ferries)
- Washington (Metro*, DC Circulator*, Arlington Transit*, Ride On*, Fairfax Connector)
- Ottawa (OC Transpo*)
- Atlanta (MARTA)
- Seattle (Metro Transit*, Sound Transit*, Kingcounty Marine Division, City of Seattle*, Pierce Transit)
- Miami (Miami-Dade Transit)
- Baltimore (MdTA)
- Portland (TriMet*)
- San Diego (MTS, NCTD*)
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul (Metro Transit*, MVTA, Plymouth*, Airport (MAC), SouthWest Transit*, University of Minnesota, Scott County Transit*)
- Houston (METRO)
- Calgary (Calgary Transit)
- Honolulu (TheBus*)
- Pittsburgh (Port Authority)
- Dallas (DART)
- Denver (RTD)
- Milwaukee (MCTS)
- Salt Lake City (UTA*)
- St. Louis (Metro)
- Austin (Capital Metro)
- Kansas City (KCATA)
- Winnipeg (Winnipeg Transit*)
- Sacramento (Sacramento Regional Transit)
- Québec (RTC)
- Halifax (MetroTransit)
- Saskatoon (Saskatoon Transit)
- Thunder Bay (Thunder Bay Transit*)
- Kelowna (BC Transit)
- Squamish (BC Transit)
- Victoria (BC Transit)
- Whistler (BC Transit)
- Kamloops (BC Transit)
- Hampton (HRT)
* Uses real-time predictions for some or all routes.
[Via: Google Play]