Qualcomm Spark prepared a neat infographic to highlight the great moments in mobile video. Here are the highlights:
- 2003. MobiTV launches as the first mobile TV service in the US, gaining 500,000 subscribers by 2005.
- 2005. Apple launches a new version of iTunes with video support and the ability to purchase movies and TV shows.
- 2010. The FIFA World Cup in South Africa becomes the largest online sporting event, generating 1 million unique viewers for the ESPN mobile TV app, 93 million minutes of total live viewing, and 555,000 video views over the first two days.
- 2011. Protesters in Egypt, Tunisia and Libya bypass the state-controlled media and create their own live news feeds with their mobile phones during Arab Spring, with more than 10,000 videos uploaded during Egypt’s election day and the top 23 Arab Spring YouTube videos receiving nearly 5.5 million views.
- 2012. The BBC launches 24 mobile channels for the London Olympic Games, live-streaming over 3,500 hours of total programming (all 32 sports and 302 medals).
And here’s the infographic with these and some other interesting facts. Check it out.