Microsoft recently unveiled its next line up of Surface 2 tablets running Windows 8.1. They look great and offer major upgrades over their predecessors, but the prices are steep. Cue Dell, who stepped into the Windows tablet spotlight when the company unveiled a new line of tablet computers at its Wednesday event in New York. Alongside cheaper and lower powered Android versions, Dell’s Venue 8 Pro and Venue 11 Pro run Windows 8.1 and deliver the similar specs to Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2 at hundreds of dollars less!
For example: the Dell Venue 11 Pro sports a beautiful 11 inch 1920 x 1080 HD IPS display with 10 points of touch. It’s powered by an Intel Atom quad-core Bay Trail processor and will support up to 8GB of RAM and 256 GB of storage. It will come in several configurations when it ships, but the base model starts at only $500!
Microsoft’s similarly spec’d Surface Pro 2 starts at $899. The funny part is any Windows tablet that sells is good for Microsoft in a way, since the massive company’s tablet business has been disappointing (to put it lightly). The adoption of the Windows 8 platform for tablet computing is a boon for Microsoft, no matter what company makes the hardware.
For more information on Dell’s whole line of new tablets, check out the excerpt from the company’s press release below:
Dell Venue Tablets: Connect, Share and Access Content with Ease
Dell Venue tablets are designed to give people on-the-go a wide-selection of sizes and options to meet their varying needs. From 8 and 11-inch Windows-based tablets complete with keyboard and stylus options, to the 7 and 8-inch Android tablets, Dell has created a dedicated brand of tablets to meet the needs of customers who are the epitome of the evolving workforce.
- The Dell Venue 8 Pro and Dell Venue 11 Pro Windows 8.1-based tablets combine the level of performance, design and responsiveness end-users love while giving IT departments what they need – the ability to integrate into an existing corporate environment with full compatibility with current Windows applications and Microsoft Office integration. Both tablets feature optional advanced security features and services such as TPM and Dell Enterprise Services.
- The lightweight Dell Venue 8 Pro runs Windows 8.1, has a bright HD IPS display, advanced connectivity options and provides long battery life so range anxiety is no longer an issue. People can also stay productive with Office 2013 Home & Student, included with the device, and the optional Dell Active Stylus.
- The Dell Venue 11 Pro, also based on Windows 8.1, provides ultimate 2-in-1 flexibility with the power of an Ultrabook, convenience of a detachable keyboard and experience of a desktop. Unlike competitive tablets, it has a user removable/replaceable battery, and its large, Full HD display with wide viewing angles makes it easy to read and create content while staying mobile. It is also available with a variety of keyboard and stylus options:
- Dell Active Stylus makes it easy to annotate, draw or take notes.
- Dell Slim Keyboard, designed for travel, also serves as a cover for the screen when folded up.
- Dell Mobile Keyboard with integrated battery provides all day productivity with a full-sized keyboard while extending the battery life.
- Dell Tablet Desktop Dock delivers full productivity on a desk with USB 3.0 ports, and dual display out ports for display extension.
- The Dell Venue 7 and Dell Venue 8 Android-based tablets are affordable, feature-rich tablets for people who want to be constantly connected wherever they are. Both tablets have an upscale fit and finish, and are designed with longevity in mind with the right components so that customers will be just as delighted with their tablet one year from now, as they are on the day they take it out of the box.
All Dell Venue tablets are based on Intel processing power for speed, responsiveness, and battery efficiency. The Dell Venue 7 and Dell Venue 8 feature Intel Atom Z2760 (“Clover Trail”) processors, while the Dell Venue 8 Pro and Dell Venue 11 Pro feature the new Intel Atom quad-core processors, code named “Bay Trail.” The Venue 11 Pro offers up to 4th Generation Intel Core i3 and i5 processor options and Intel vPro for manageability.