Some HTC 8X owners are apparently getting Windows Phone GDR3 updates as we speak. According to MobileSyrup, select 8X owners in Canada are being blessed with the new software even though neither Microsoft nor HTC said anything about it. At least one Canadian carrier (Bell) has begun rolling out version 8.0.10501.127 to their 8X customers, bringing a number of changes to their Windows Phone 8 devices:
- Accessibility improvements for customers who are visually impaired.
- Storage – ability to easily free up storage and manage temporary files. New categories show what’s taking up space.
- Driving Mode – allows users to minimize incoming calls and text messages to help them focus on the road ahead.
- Lock screen orientation.
- Wi-Fi – you can now connect to Wi-Fi during set-up.
- Internet sharing – so you can use your phone’s cellular data connection to connect to the Internet using other Wi-Fi-enabled devices.
- Bluetooth fixes that address the connection quality for Bluetooth accessories.
- Ability to assign ringtones for text messages, instant messages, emails, voicemail and reminders.
- App switcher – allows you to quickly close apps.
We’re still not sure why HTC hasn’t officially announced this update but the chances are they’ll do it any day now…