Samsung has officially announced the next generation of Galaxy Gear devices, the Gear 2 and the Gear 2 Neo, dropping the Galaxy name. Unlike its predecessor, the new Gear smartwatches are no longer be running Android but rather Samsung’s Tizen OS. The new smartwatches look a lot more stylized than the original Gear, eschewing the original’s showy screws and looking a little slimmer.
While Samsung hasn’t detailed how or if original Galaxy Gear apps will run on Tizen, but Sammy is promising plenty of apps upon launch. The Gear 2 will work with any device running Android 4.0 and up.
Both the Gear 2 and the Gear 2 Neo have a bit more stand-alone functionality than the original gear, functioning as a music player all on its own in conjunction with Bluetooth headphones. The Gear 2 keeps almost all of the functionality of the Galaxy Gear, and then some. The new smartwatches include a heart rate monitor and a pretty significant processor upgrade. The Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo both rock a dual-core 1GHz chip, while the original Gear had a single-core 800MHz chip.
In an effort to provide a more affordable smartwatch, Samsung decided to release the Gear 2 Neo alongside the Gear 2. The Gear 2 Neo is a lightweight version of the Gear 2 and lacking a camera. The Gaer 2 and Gear 2 Neo will be available in multiple colors in April 2014.
Detailed specs and press release follow below the picture gallery.
- Display: 1.63” Super AMOLED (320 x 320)
- AP: 1.0 GHz Dual Core Processor
- OS: Tizen based wearable platform
- Camera: Gear 2 : 2.0 Megapixel Auto Focus (1920×1080, 1080×1080, 1280×960)
- Camera: Gear 2 Neo : N/A
- Video: Codec: H.264, H.263; Format: 3GP, MP4; HD(720p, @30fps) Playback & Recording
- Audio: Codec: MP3/AAC/AMR/Vorbis; Format: MP3, M4A, AAC, OGG
- Camera Features: Auto Focus Camera, Sound & Shot, Location Tags, Signature
- Fitness Features: 1.Heart Rate sensor, 2.Pedometer, 3.Exercise, 4.Sleep & Stress (Downloadable)
- Standalone Modes: Running, Walking
- Companion Modes: Cycling, Hiking
- Music Player with Bluetooth® Headset and Speaker
- WatchON Remote: Remote Controller via IrLED Sensor
- Basic Features: Bluetooth Call, Camera, Notification(SMS, E-mail, Apps), Media Controller, Schedule, Smart Relay, S Voice, Stopwatch, Timer, Weather
- More Features(Downloadable): Calculator, ChatON, Flashlight, Quick Settings, Voice Memo
- Changeable Strap – Color Options:
- Gear 2 : Charcoal Black, Gold Brown and Wild Orange
- Gear 2 Neo : Charcoal Black, Mocha Grey and Wild Orange
- IP67 Certified Dust and Water Resistant, Noise Cancellation, Samsung Services
- Samsung Apps
- Connectivity: Bluetooth® v4.0 LE, IrLED
- Sensor: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Heart Rate
- Memory: RAM: 512MB
- Storage: 4GB Internal Memory
- Dimension: Gear 2 : 36.9 x 58.4x 10.0 mm, 68g; Gear 2 Neo : 37.9 x 58.8 x 10.0mm, 55g
- Battery: Standard Battery, Li-ion 300mAh; Typical Usage 2~3 days, Low Usage up to 6 days
Samsung Offers Unmatched Freedom and Style with the Next Generation of Gear devices
February 23, 2014
The stylish Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo offer consumers increased connectivity, customization, and control
Barcelona, Spain – February 23, 2014 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today introduced the Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo designed to take the freedom, convenience and style of wearable technology to the next level. The Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo offer consumers enhanced connectivity and a completely integrated approach for the most personal wearable experience.
“Samsung continues to lead innovation in the wearable market by creating devices that are completely integrated into the lives of consumers through extended connectivity features, stylish customization options and a robust application ecosystem,” Said JK Shin, CEO and President of IT & Mobile Division, Samsung Electronics. “With the Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo, we have enhanced everything consumers love about the Gear to offer unparalleled smart freedom in their everyday life.”
The next generation of mobile freedom
Samsung achieved a significant improvement as a leading smart wearable provider with Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo. Both devices offer a lightweight design with premium finishes that reflect modern trends.
A Camera is equipped to a main body instead to strap, making the Samsung Gear 2 a sleek and sharp smart companion. Consumers are now available to express their mood or coordinate with their outfit with modern and sophisticated strap color options including Charcoal Black, Gold Brown and Wild Orange for Gear2 and Charcoal Black, Mocha Grey and Wild Orange for Gear2 Neo. The home screen background, clock face and font are also customizable to reflect their personal taste.
The Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo are essential companion devices, allow users to accept or ignore incoming calls and messages, and providing instant notification options based on a user’s activity and habits.
Both devices act as an extension of a consumer’s daily life, offering users more control of their lives with standalone features, such as controlling electronic products such as TV, settop box through WatchON Remote application in their own home with an embedded IrLED sensor. The addition of a standalone music player with Bluetooth headset means people can leave their smartphone at home and still enjoy their music on the go.
Both devices also offer personal fitness coaching in real time, allowing users to develop a customizable fitness routine and monitor their heart rate in order to improve their overall well-being.
Finally, the Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo let users connect to a wide variety of Samsung devices and access an enriched application ecosystem as the first wearable powered by Tizen based wearable platform. Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo are compatible with more than dozens of Samsung Galaxy smartphones at launch.
Samsung Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo will be available around the world starting from April. Full details and product images are available at www.samsungmobilepress.com or m.samsungmobilepress.com.
Sell Your Old Cell Phone for Cash
Select your device below to begin:
Buy a New Cell Phone
Best Sellers from AT&T
New Releases from AT&T
See all cell phones from AT&T
Best Sellers from Sprint
New Releases from Sprint
See all cell phones from Sprint
Best Sellers from Verizon
New Releases from Verizon
See all cell phones from Verizon