Sony just rolled out a new fitness tracker, the Sony SmartBand SWR10. The stylish little band can be used with Android devices and utilizes NFC to pair easily Android devices, and syncs information to Sony’s Lifelog app.
The SmartBand is designed to be worn continuously, touting IP55/58 certified water resistance, allowing users to track their activity even while taking a long, hot shower. The device tracks sleeping cycles, walking and running activity as well as notifications from a paired smartphone such as missed calls and messages.
Fashionistas, beware: the SmartBand is currently only available in black, with more color options coming soon. The SmartBand can be purchased from Sony for $99.
Press release follows below.
Live smart with the Sony SmartBand, now available in the U.S.
The Sony SmartBand SWR10 is available beginning today for purchase at Sony Stores and online at store.sony.com for $99.99.
SmartBand is designed to be worn all day, every day. It’s waterproof, comfortable and stylish, with a removable core unit inside an adjustable silicone wristband. The core’s accelerometer technology tracks your motion and sends the data to the Lifelog application in your Android smartphone.
Lifelog collects data from both the SmartBand and your smartphone to tell a broader story of what happens in your life — fitness, location, weather, photos, music, personal notes (life bookmarks) and more. Lifelog displays the information in a colorful, versatile interface that helps you reflect on what you did each day and set goals for the future. Lifelog displays your activity in a colorful, multi-faceted interface that lets you view your information in various ways.
In addition to tracking your walking, running and sleep motion activity, SmartBand also works as a useful, unobtrusive extension to your smartphone with functions that include smart alarm and vibration notifications for incoming calls and messages, calendar events and more. With the smart alarm feature, SmartBand can silently wake you up at the best time in your sleep cycle without waking up everyone else.
When listening to music on your smartphone, SmartBand can also be used to play, pause and skip tracks through a combination of pressing SmartBand’s power button and tapping the band.
You can also think of SmartBand as a wireless leash for your smartphone. Whenever you get to the limit of Bluetooth range between the devices, SmartBand will warn you with a distinct vibration pattern. You won’t have to run back to the restaurant in a panic because you left your smartphone there.
Setup is easy with one-touch NFC pairing, or you can use the standard Bluetooth pairing process.
- Waterproof, rated IP55/58
- SmartBand communicates with your smartphone to provide vibrating alerts regarding calls, messages or other notifications.
- LifeLog is available free for download from the Google Play Store
- Automatically records your physical, social and entertainment activities to set activity goals and monitor progress
- Smart alarm tracks motion during your sleep cycle to wake you up at the best time with a gentle vibration
- Life Bookmark key lets you capture moments worth remembering
- Sony SmartBand is compatible with Android 4.4 smartphones
- Available for sale in Black
- Additional colored bands can be purchased from Sony Stores or online through store.sony.com later this month