With its upcoming BlackBerry Blend solution, the Canadian company is preparing to go beyond mobile. Said product (software solution) will allow select BlackBerry phone owners to connect their QWERTY device to the big screen and get accordingly better experience. In other words, the extra screen estate will be properly used, allowing folks to more easily access various apps and services.
With BlackBerry Blend, users will be able to:
- View and respond to messages and chats from different accounts in the BlackBerry Hub.
- Access their BBM chats, groups and BBM Channels
- Access their text messages (SMS).
- View daily, weekly or monthly agenda; and create new calendar entries.
- Copy and transfer files between a BlackBerry device and computer or tablet.
- Open a browser with a secure connection to view private information from the organization’s intranet (if you’re using BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10).
- Backup and restore, copy media files.
I always thought that BlackBerry should come up with a Padfone-like device. Now that the Passport is about to be launched, I would say they just need a tablet or laptop shell to house this kick-ass smartphone, and bring true convergence to the market. I know I would want something like that, how about you?