iSailGPS converts your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch into a high-performance GPS receiver for USA NOAA Raster Nautical Charts, even where there is no cell network signal!
USA NOAA RASTER NAUTICAL CHARTS!
● Forever-free access to all USA NOAA Raster Nautical Charts, downloaded over WiFi or cell service to your iOS device. Charts from our server have a shorter download time, use less of your monthly data allotment and take up less memory on your iOS device.
● Store up to 200 charts at a time to use anytime without cell service.
● Switches between downloaded charts as you sail. Make wise navigation decisions on the water by choosing detailed or overview charts.
● Enjoy the full resolution and what's-all-around detail of the NOAA Raster Nautical Charts (RNC). They are a welcomed advantage over ENC Vector Charts, which only show a coastline, contour lines, and pinpoint of where you are.
TRACKS & WAYPOINTS!
● Records a track on the chart and shows a speed graph of your trip. Choose to record a track in the background even when the iOS device is asleep or when using another App.
● Mark waypoints with a convenient button on the main chart screen, or import them using email or iTunes File Sharing.
● Set a "Go To" waypoint and see the course, heading, bearing, direction, distance, and estimated time of arrival.
● Export a GPX file of your tracks, waypoints, or current position to a friend or your home computer via email or iTunes.
● Online Manual available on our website.
● Tap "Help" in the App.
● Email developer: [email protected]
RASTER CHARTS VS. VECTOR CHARTS…DEVELOPER'S NOTE
I am responding to the "Snore" Customer Review.
Our government's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) provides both RNC (raster) and ENC (vector) charts. For more information, see http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/learn_diffRNC_ENC.html.
I can assure you that I did not take photos of the 2230 charts! Each is a digital image produced by NOAA (not by us) from their paper charts using high-resolution digital scanners.
These Raster Nautical Charts differ from computer-drawn vector charts in that each chart covers a specific area, the same way a paper nautical chart does. A new chart is switched to when traveling out of the area covered by the previous chart. For most locations, there are multiple charts at different scales with different levels of detail and areas of coverage.
The great advantage of these RNC charts used in iSailGPS is the high level of detail originally produced by professional cartographers that is unobtainable on any vector-based chart.
Paper charts can contain multiple panels, with each one showing a different area, scale or orientation. In contrast, each digital panel was scanned separately by NOAA and is individually displayed by iSailGPS with a north-up orientation.
If a person is only familiar with using vector charts, then using RNC charts will be different. We clearly state that iSailGPS uses RNC charts.
Various marine software, which costs far more than iSailGPS, uses these identical RNC charts. iSailGPS is carefully priced in this recession to make it more readily available to all sailors.
Lawrence W. James, author of iSailGPS
● Recommended: the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and 3G iPad support all functions in iSailGPS.
● You can view charts using the iPod Touch and the WiFi-only iPad models. These devices require an external GPS receiver to access all features.
● The iPhone 3G, the original iPhone, and 1st & 2nd generation iPod Touch are not supported due to memory limitations.
● Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.