- Category: News
- Released date: 05/31/2009
- Current Version: 1.4
- Seller: Terence Worley
- Recommended Age: 4+
- Download Size: 408010
- Last Update: 07/22/2011
- Requirements: All
** 7/16 Note: The series of Mormon Times feeds (Mormon Voices, Today in the Bloggernacle, Studies and Doctrines, etc.) have recently been rolled back into the Deseret News and are currently unavailable. A request for updated feeds has been sent in but no ETA on their availability, or if they will continue them.
The Newsroom Blog is also currently unavailable as it has undergone changes along with the LDS.org website changes.
The various Gems are still active but the Church has not been updating them. They have been left in because the existing ones still have a great message. But they will likely be pulled out of the app in an upcoming release.
Read. Watch. Listen.
• Read the latest news as well as numerous other current stories, blogs, and messages of inspiration, all from official Church and Church-owned sources.
• Watch the Church's The World Report videos.
• Listen to the talks and music from the latest General Conference.
Currently with 23 different services from which to choose and you never have to leave the app!
LDS News even remembers which stories you've already read and which Conference talks you've already heard while using it.
It's not just a simple RSS reader like others out there, this is packed with features that make it useful and enjoyable. Like a story you read? It's easy to send an email with its link to yourself or somebody else. Or you can email the full text of a Daily Gem along with the link to the talk from which it was taken!
On an airplane or off the network while at scout camp? The Gems, Newsroom Blog, and story lists that are currently loaded can be read while offline.
So many convenient features makes this the best resource for keeping up with what's going on in the Church. Read on to find out more about them.
The services currently being offered are:
• General Conference streaming audio -- talks and music. Can play in the background on iOS 4 devices while you do other things on your iPhone or iPod.
• The World Report streaming video podcasts.
• 6 Church news feeds:
- News Around the Church
- LDS.org Home Page
- Newsroom Blog
- LDS Tech
• 6 Mormon Times daily news feeds:
- Main page
- Today in the Bloggernacle
- Arts & Entertainment
- Mormon Living
- Studies & Doctrine
- Mormon Voices
• 5 Gems:
- Young Single Adult
- Church History
• 4 Deseret News feeds:
- Utah stories
- BYU Sports
- U of U Sports
- Utah State Sports
• Arrange in your preferred order.
• Keeps track of stories you have already read or which talks you've already heard and indicates how many remain unread.
• Indicates when the most recent story or Gem was posted.
• Story links can be easily emailed to yourself or others. Plus, email is now integrated into the app so you don't have to leave LDS News to send them.
• Gems can also be emailed with the title, author, the full text of the Gem, and the link to the talk from which the quote was taken.
• And, especially useful for iPod Touch users, limited offline support. The most recently downloaded Gems and story listings, plus the new Newsroom Blog, can be viewed while offline, be it on an airplane or if you lose signal somewhere.
• All times and dates displayed in your local time zone.
• Item caching to limit network traffic and for quicker loading of stories at launch.
Note that this application has no affiliation with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. All content is offered through RSS feeds and is owned or provided by the respective service and presented here according to the rights outlined by the Church.