- Category: Reference
- Released date: 04/15/2009
- Current Version: 1.52
- Seller: Antony Lewis
- Recommended Age: 4+
- Download Size: 30730251
- Last Update: 07/22/2011
- Requirements: All
The WordWeb English dictionary and thesaurus: fast searching, spelling suggestions, definitions, usage examples, synonyms, related words - and no adverts. An offline audio version is available separately.
The comprehensive WordWeb dictionary database includes:
- 285,000 words, phrases and derived forms
- 225,000 word sense definitions
- 70,000 usage examples
- 85,000 text pronunciations
- Synonyms, similar and related words
- N. American, British, Australian and international English
A version with 70,000 professionally recorded audio pronunciations is available as a separate product.
The intelligent word entry suggests possible correct spellings as you type, as well as listing words that sound the same or are often confused.
Additional features include the ability to drill down on any word in a definition, full bookmark support and history.
Search features include:
- Alphabetical listing
- Spelling suggestions
- Sounds-like and often-confused
- Fast pattern-matching search (*, ?, vowel and consonant)
- Filter search results by noun, verb, adjective, adverbs
- Customize search options (case, derived forms, etc)
Is it better than dictionary.com? Judge for yourself!
No Internet connection is required to use WordWeb, and it's free.
Chambers dictionary and thesaurus are also available, and you can cross-reference to both Chambers and old Oxford dictionary apps from WordWeb.