Are those miniscule Droid X and HTC EVO 4G handsets not enough screen for you? Then you’ll be happy to know that the monstrous, 5-inch-display packing Dell Streak is now available online for your purchase. Unfortunately, it’s tied and locked down to AT&T right now, so you’ll have to fork over $300 and sign your life away to a two-year contract. Otherwise, it’s $549.99 at full retail.
So, what are you getting when you pick up one of these bad boys? Aside from the enormous display and the ostentatious size, it’s running Google’s Android OS. The only downside is that it will come to you with Android 1.6, so you’ll be missing out on features and apps that work only with Android 2.1 or higher. However, the Dell Streak is going to be getting Android 2.1 rather soon, so it’s just an exercise in patience for you, the customer.
Other goodies as listed on Dell’s site:
- Widescreen display optimally designed for mobile web, video and movies
- Integrated social networking widgets and apps, plus tons of apps through the Android Marketplace
- Crystal-clear damage-resistant Gorilla® glass screen
- Google MapsTM with navigation and text-to-voice, turn-by-turn directions with Street View
- Multitasking Google Android OS that gives you the freedom to do what you want
The Streak also has a front-facing camera for those of you who are wanting video-chatting capabilities, much like the iPhone 4, HTC EVO 4G and the coming Samsung Epic 4G.
Big as the Dell Streak is, it’s not all about size as it’s powered by a 1GHz Snapdragon processor–Android 1.6 will absolutely fly on this thing and will continue to do so even with subsequent software updates. It’s also HSPA 7.2Mbps capable, so you’ll be getting the faster download speeds on AT&T’s sometimes fickle network.
Everything else is what you’d expect from a modern smartphone or super phone these days: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, accelerometer and microSD card slot (16GB comes installed).