IntoMobile

Breaking news, information, and analysis on the latest mobile phones and mobile technology

Open NavigationOpen Search
  • Home
  • Platforms
    • iOS / iPhone OS
    • Android
    • Windows Phone
    • BlackBerry OS
  • Hardware
    • New Hardware
    • Tablets
    • Reviews
    • Rumors
  • Carriers
    • AT&T
    • Sprint
    • T-Mobile
    • Verizon
  • Manufacturers
    • Apple
    • Samsung
    • HTC
    • LG
    • Motorola
  • Best VPNs
  • Best AI Tools

Sprint directors resign from Clearwire board

September 30, 2010 by Marin Perez - Leave a Comment

Clearwire board loses Sprint executives
Share on Twitter Share on Facebook ( 0 shares )
Clearwire board loses Sprint executives

It looks like Sprint and Clearwire could be heading for a divorce, as three Sprint executives have resigned from the Clearwire board. The real question is: who gets the 4G kids?

The Wall Street Journal said this could pave the way for Clearwire to pursue new options. Sprint owns about 54% of Clearwire right now and it uses the company’s infrastructure as the backbone of its 4G services, which are available on devices like the Epic 4G and the EVO 4G.

Sprint Chief Executive Dan Hesse, Keith Cowan and Steven Elfman have all resigned from the board but Clearwire said they will be replaced and that it is not about pursuing a deal but because of regulations.

The move comes as Clearwire is clearly in a transitional period. The company’s bread and butter so far has been 4G services with WiMax technology but it looks like the industry is looking at Long-Term Evolution as the standard of choice for the next generation of mobile data.

The company doesn’t have its head in the sand though, as it is testing LTE in a few markets. It is even promising real-world speeds of 20-70 Mbps download speeds.

This is made possible because the Clearwire infrastructure is quite flexible and WiMax and LTE have more in common than, say, CDMA and GSM. The company has said that it could switch to LTE with what amounts to a software upgrade.

The competition is not waiting around for it to make a decision, as Verizon is rolling out its 4G LTE network in multiple cities, as is MetroPCS.

AT&T plans to deploy its 4G network in the middle of next year and T-Mobile is able to squeeze out some impressive speeds with its 3G HSPA+ network. Heck, the T-Mobile G2 with HSPA+ has been shown getting more than 14 Mbps.

[Via The Wall Street Journal]

Share on Twitter Share on Facebook ( 0 shares )

Back to top ▴

Back to top ▴

Follow IntoMobile

38k
36k
4k
13k
12k

Most Recent Posts

  • iPhone No Sound: Tips on How to Fix this Common Issue
  • The newest iOS – things you surely did not know
  • Transferring money through mobile: Why digital wallets are the future of commerce?
  • Review: Shine laser light Bluetooth headphones
  • Neptune Suite smart watch with phone and tablet screens killing it at Indiegogo

Get Updates Via E-Mail

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

About IntoMobile

  • About IntoMobile
  • Contact IntoMobile
  • Send us News Tips
  • Privacy Policy

Social Links

  • IntoMobile on Facebook
  • IntoMobile on Twitter
  • IntoMobile on Google+
  • IntoMobile on YouTube

Copyright © 2006-2021 IntoMobile. All rights reserved.