GSMA used its Big Show to unveil some cool numbers regarding GSM-based technologies adoption. We crunched the numbers to bring you only the key points:
- HSPA mobile broadband connections have increased by 100% year-on-year, passing 400 million globally.
- More than 17 million HSPA connections are being added each month around the world, compared to nearly 9 million a month in the same period last year.
- LTE is set to rise from 4.2 million connections in 24 countries by the end of this year, to almost 300 million connections in 55 countries by 2015.
- During the year operators around the world have invested more than $70 billion in infrastructure and network upgrades.
- HSPA is supported by more than 2,900 devices from 200 suppliers.
- There are now 341 live HSPA networks across 132 countries worldwide.
- 76 HSPA+ networks are deployed in 43 countries with a further 52 networks planned worldwide.
GSMA also talks about the LTE prospects, saying that in order to achieve the same success as HSPA, governments need to ensure that suitable spectrum is released in a timely and harmonized way, allowing for vast economies of scale and driving down the cost of equipment and handsets….