So, you’ve got an AT&T
Samsung Captivate in hand, and you want to get some root only applications like SetCPU, CacheMate, or Root Explorer onto your Samsung variant, do you? Well, you’re in luck, we have put together a handy little guide that should make it easy for you to do with your Captivate / Galaxy S as you see fit here’s the guide for you. This step by step guide will help you get root fast and easily.
*NOTE* Rooting your device may voice your warranty. If you brick your device, we take no responsibility, so do this at your own risk.
Things you will need:
- First, install the correct drivers for the Captivate onto your computer.
- Connect your Captivate to your computer, and mount the internal storage drive.
- It’s easiest to find out which is which by taking out the Micro SD card, that way only one drive will appear when you mount the device.
- To mount, pull down your notification bar and select the “USB connected” notification, then tap Mount.
- Place the file you renamed to update.zip into the Internal storage.
- Now you want to get into the recovery mode.
- Turn off your Captivate, and hold down Volume Up and Down while pressing power.
- Hold until you get into the recovery mode. (pictured above)
- To navigate, use the volume up and down to move the highlighted area, and the End/Power button to select.
- Select Reinstall Packages, and hit the power button.
- The file will install, allow it to do so and reboot.
- Once the Captivate is rebooted, you should notice the SuperUser application in the app drawer. You’ve got root!
While it’s not a one-click root like we’ve seen on the EVO or Incredible, this root method is one of the easier ones we’ve ever come across. Now you can take advantage of the many root-only applications to add even more functionality to one of the more functional handsets on AT&T. Now, we just wait for Android developers to release some custom ROMs – Samsung’s S-Life UI for Android is good, but isn’t for everyone. CyanogenMod 6 FTW!
Also, if you’re experiencing GPS issue of any kind, make sure to check out the tutorial to fix it here!
Check out our AT&T here.
T-Mobile Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) unboxing and hardware/software tour
Sell Your Old Cell Phone for Cash
Select your device below to begin:
Buy a New Cell Phone
Best Sellers from AT&T
New Releases from AT&T
See all cell phones from AT&T
Best Sellers from Sprint
New Releases from Sprint
See all cell phones from Sprint
Best Sellers from Verizon
New Releases from Verizon
See all cell phones from Verizon