Day one of the Verizon DROID 2and the handset has already been dissected by the folks at iFixit. The traditional teardown analysis reveals little surprises regarding the . As expected, the Verizon DROID 2 is almost identical to the original DROID; so identical that it is difficult to tell the two handsets apart when they have been broken down to their rails and chassis.
The placement of many of internal components in the DROID 2 is almost identical to the original Verizon DROID. The display is identical and even though the keyboard has been upgraded on the D2, it is the same size , shape, and has the same connector as the D1. The folks at iFixit did not test this theory but they hypothesized that you could swap out the D1 keyboard and replace it with the one from the D2.
Other notable highlights from the teardown include:
- the DROID 2 has a 3.7V, 1390 mAh Li-Ion Polymer battery which is identical to the DROID. Despite having the same capacity battery, Motorola claims the DROID 2 lasts 49% longer that the D1.
- the camera on the D2 and the D1 is housed on a separate circuit board that can be easily removed . The D2′s camera slightly outperforms the D1, recording DVD-quality video at 30FPS instead of 24FPS.
- the D2 is thought to have a TI OMAP 3630 processor but this component is inaccessible as it is buried beneath a mobile RAM chip.
- the D2 and the D2 ship with the same amount of memory but the D2 includes a SanDisk SDIN4C2 8 GB NAND flash package on the motherboard and an 8GB microSD card.
- the D2 has an improved TI WL1271B WLAN Bluetooth/FM chip which offers 802.11n connectivity.
If you have some time on your hands, it is definitely worth your while to head over to iFixit’s website for the teardown analysis and take a closer look at the innards of this hot, new Android handset.
Sell Your Old Cell Phone for Cash
Select your device below to begin:
Buy a New Cell Phone
Best Sellers from AT&T
New Releases from AT&T
See all cell phones from AT&T
Best Sellers from Sprint
New Releases from Sprint
See all cell phones from Sprint
Best Sellers from Verizon
New Releases from Verizon
See all cell phones from Verizon