The earlier rumor was that Apple may unveil the iOS 5 and MobileMe at some point in early April. Now we have a new tidbit of information, suggesting the next-generation of Apple’s mobile platform will be launched at some point this fall. There’s more:
- iOS 5 is said to be a major revamp of the platform. We’re hoping homescreen widgets will be included, though don’t have anything like that confirmed.
- The new iOS could well be previewed at WWDC, but won’t be released then.
- A new type of iPad may be released alongside the iOS 5!
- iOS 5 will be all about the cloud, with Apple launching new services to support it. We presume a new data center was needed to provide additional bandwidth and processing power for all of the upcoming cloud-based services.
- A new “music locker” service may be unveiled during Apple’s annual music-themed event.
- Another service may deal with location, helping please find friends and family members.
- WWDC, taking place in June, will be all about the cloud, preparing developers for the upcoming wave of connected apps.
- OS X Lion, which should be released during the summer, may easily incorporate some of the cloud components.
There you have it folks. Even with the iOS 5 launch date pushed back a few months, there’s a lot to look forward to. We’re hoping the iPhone 5 launch will coincide with the new iOS release, too. 😉