Pre-orders for the iPhone 5 start in a few hours, so it’s time to make sure you are ready when the ordering light turns green. Below, you will find a few tips that’ll make sure things go smoothly during the ordering process.
1. Determine which carrier you want as soon as possible. Do you want an iPhone on Verizon, Sprint or AT&T? Verizon has the largest LTE network, but you can’t do simultaneous voice and data. Big Red will let you do FaceTime over 3G, though. AT&T is a distant second in LTE coverage, and you don’t get FaceTime over 3G (unless you switch to a shared plan). You do, however, get the added benefit of being able to talk and browse at the same time. Sprint has the smallest LTE footprint and no simultaneous voice-data, but you do get FaceTime over 3G and unlimited data.
2. Check your eligibility. Make sure you have a line that is eligible to upgrade. If you need to add a line, call your wireless provider and add it now through customer service. If you wait until ordering time, you may discover that you need assistance, which are not likely going to get in the wee hours of the night. It will also take longer for you to checkout, if you have to go through a credit approval.
3. Add your credit card to your ordering account, if possible. The checkout process is fast and furious; you don’t want to get left behind because you have to type in your CC# and expiration date. If you can’t add it ahead of time, then type the number, date and CVC code into a text document and past them into the ordering form.
4. Make sure your shipping, billing and credit card addresses are current. You don’t want to lose you ordering spot because the zip codes on your different accounts don’t match.
5. Check your credit card balance. You can’t pre-order the iPhone if you don’t have the cash or credit balance.
4. Multi-task. Right before the buzzer goes off, make sure you open a few browser windows or maybe use two computers. If the ordering process stalls, you can always give up on that window and start over in another window.
5. Find some friends to hangout with on Twitter or Google +. This is especially beneficial for folks on the East Coast who will be up until 3AM waiting for pre-orders to start.
6. Drink some caffeinated beverages and most of all, have fun!
If you plan to order, then drop us a line in the comments and let us know how it goes. You can also say hi to me (@kellyhodgkins) or Anthony (@adomanico01) on Twitter. We are burning the midnight oil, so we can grab an iPhone 5 the minute they become available. Come join us as we wait.