Opera State of Mobile Advertising: iOS continues to deliver the highest eCPM

Opera State of Mobile Advertising

Opera Software published its Q3 State of Mobile Advertising report, sharing key data and trends in mobile advertising worldwide. The Opera advertising platform — based on Opera’s subsidiaries AdMarvel, Mobile Theory and 4th Screen Advertising — serves more than 10,000 mobile sites and apps, with 40+ billion ad impressions per month and is on-track to deliver more than $400 million in revenue to mobile publishers in 2012.

Here are the highlights:

  • iOS continues to deliver the highest eCPM with iPad and iPhone garnering $4.42 and $1.48 eCPMs, respectively. Android slipped down in the rankings with $0.88, well below RIM at $1.06.
  • Sports became the no. 1 category for mobile ad revenue, and mobile sites and apps in the Music, Video & Media category also grew this quarter, both capturing 30% of overall revenue, making them the highest earners. Business, Finance & Investing properties consistently generate more revenue per impression than any other category.
  • Apps took the top spot in the third quarter by generating 73% of revenue within the Opera ad platform, while the remaining 27% came from the mobile web. Traffic measurement showed 8 in 10 visits on the Opera ad platform came from mobile apps, compared to 2 in 10 via the mobile web.
  • Compared to the rest of the world, mobile users in the United Kingdom trend towards interaction with content in Arts & Entertainment and Health, Fitness & Self Help. They are also four times more likely to use a BlackBerry.

And you can get the full report from Opera’s website

  • Phil Kwok

    Um, lower eCPMs (effective Cost Per Thousand) are better.  What you’re saying is that Apple iAds are 5 times more expensive and less efficient at delivering audience than Google’s Android AdMob.

Back to top ▴