The iPhone 5s and 5c are now official and you are likely trying to decide if you are going to buy one (or both?). One major factor in this decision is your upgrade eligibility — are you eligible for an upgrade with your carrier or do you have to pay full price?
If you’ve signed up for a two-year contract sometime in the past, then you’ll want to check your upgrade eligibility before you even think about pre-ordering one of these new iPhones. If you are a Sprint, AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile customer, then read on to find out how to check the terms of your current contract.
AT&T customers can check their current contract by making a phone call to an automated service or checking online.
- Login to myAT&T account using your PC or tablet.
- Call *639# (*NEW#) from your wireless device to get a free text with your upgrade eligibility status.
Like AT&T, Verizon Wireless customers can make a quick phone call or check online.
- On your Verizon iPhone, dial #874 and a text message will be sent to your phone with your upgrade eligibility status.
- Login to your Verizon Wireless account. Your upgrade eligibility date is listed on the Upgrade Your Device page in My Verizon. You’ll see a list of the mobile numbers on your account, and the upgrade eligibility date will be listed below each mobile number.
Sprint has a special customer service line that customers can call. Customers also can request a text message or visit their account on Sprint’s website.
- Call Customer Care by pressing *2 on your handset and then press 1. Enter your phone number and press 1 to check upgrade eligibility.
- Use your phone by texting the word “upgrade” to 1311.
- Go directly to the Upgrade Eligibility page on Sprint’s website.
- Log into My Sprint and visit the My Account tab. Locate the “Upgrade phone” link in the “I want to” section next to the phone you are looking to upgrade. Easy peasy.
T-Mobile customers ditched contracts earlier this year when it introduced its new Simple Choice plans. T-Mobile customers who still have a contract on a classic plan can check their upgrade eligibility online. If you are Simple Choice subscriber, no worries — just buy away.
- Log in to My T-Mobile and from the center of the landing page, click “Upgrade Phone.” Then select “See more details” to view details of the device, pricing, and contract options.
Apple also offers iPhone upgrade eligibility check, but you’ll need to enter the last four of the primary account holder’s SSN.