Rockstar’s latest entry to into its biggest franchise, Grand Theft Auto V is blowing sales records out of the water. In the midst of all the hype leading up to its release, Rockstar had announced an online component to the game. Now the details of Grand Theft Auto Online are being revealed!
GTA Online is free with every copy of GTA V, and it adds a whole new way to play to a franchise that has essentially remained a single player experience. Starting October 1st, you can create a unique character who you can swap to from within GTA V. Selecting one of the three protagonists of the game will take you into their story and progress the game’s narrative. Selecting your GTA Online character will instead take you into the online component, a persistent world that looks and plays like GTA V but is an online sand box for you and up to 15 other folks.
Rockstar revolutionized the wide open, sand box game genre with GTA III. That game, and increasingly later Rockstar titles have felt as free and open as anything online, despite limiting play to a single player experience (GTA IV introduced some online play but it was much more of an afterthought than a fleshed out multiplayer experience). Rockstar Online brings the polish and story telling of GTA to the realm of online play.
Grand Theft Auto Online is a dynamic and persistent online world for 16 players that begins by sharing gameplay features, geography and mechanics with Grand Theft Auto V, but will continue to expand and evolve after its launch with new content created by Rockstar Games and the Grand Theft Auto community. Grand Theft Auto Online takes the fundamental Grand Theft Auto concepts of freedom, ambient activity and mission-based gameplay and makes them available to multiple players in an incredibly detailed and responsive online world.
In Grand Theft Auto Online, players have the freedom to explore alone or with friends, work cooperatively to complete missions, band together to participate in activities and ambient events, or compete in traditional game modes with the entire community, all with the personality and refined mechanics of Grand Theft Auto V.
Players can invest in their character through customizing their appearance, improving their stats, owning customized vehicles, purchasing personal property, and taking part in missions, jobs and activities to earn reputation and cash to open up new opportunities to rise through the criminal ranks. The world of Grand Theft Auto Online will constantly grow and change as new content is added, creating the first ever persistent and dynamic Grand Theft Auto game world.
Access to Grand Theft Auto Online is free with every retail copy of Grand Theft Auto V and launches on October 1st.
Rockstar recently addressed some of the questions players have had about GTA Online in a blog post. Be sure to check it out, and check out the GTA Online trailer below!
- Grand Theft Auto Online is going to be something brand new for us: a fully realized and living world for multiple players that will continue to grow and take shape over time.
- The ultimate shape of GTA Online will be determined as much by you, the player, as by the work we put in. What you like and don’t like, what you play and what you want will determine how the game develops and what it turns into.
- Everything we do will be informed by feedback from you all – from the types of missions that roll out to all kinds of future content.
- We are planning for a constant stream of new content, tweaks and updates in the weeks and months ahead.
- The first couple of weeks we expect to be heavily focused on tuning the experience as it goes from internal testing to the reality of being played by tons of people in the real world so that all the usual teething problems for an online game are overcome. We hope it will all run incredibly smoothly, but please bear with us if it doesn’t, and help us fix any and all problems!
- After that, we will begin releasing content updates and giving you the opportunity to make your own content.