I’ve been ranting about this for quite a while and I’m glad someone finally put it on video. As a phone operating system first and foremost, S40 does a better job than S60, there is also more functionality out of the box. This video goes through 10 differences between the operating systems and if you have absolutley zero knowledge of the French language I recommend you read this list first before hitting play:
- The time is only visible on the home screen of S60, this isn’t the case with S40 where the time is everywhere.
- You get a preview of the themes in S40 when scrolling by them, they don’t appear in S60 unless you preview them.
- S40 lets you record your phone calls out of the box, you need third party tools to do this in S60.
- S40 has this menu view where you don’t have to bury to find features. It is similar to the menu system on a Sony PSP.
- The calender on S40 blows S60 out the water. You can set call reminders, there is more information visible in the month view and it takes fewer clicks to add information.
- I have no idea what he said. Something about profiles.
- The standby screen on S60 has a limited number of icons on top and very little calendar information compared to S40 which has no such limit on the number of shortcuts and has a rich calender view.
- Something about the contacts, again no clue.
- Something about the log.
- S40 has the ability to let you send a text message to the most recent people you’ve already sent a text message to. S60 does not have this.
Conclusion: The built in calculator for S40 is more powerful and … will someone who speaks French please translate portion for the video?
There you have it. I probably would have been a better translator if my French teacher in high school wasn’t an incredibly sexy 20 something year old who had no problem wearing tight and revealing clothing. Those kids who sleep with their teacher and then brag about it to their friends which then gets said slutty professor fired, they ruin it for the rest of us.
[Via: Symbian France]