Sources close to the situation (we love when reports start off like that) are saying that Apple and Vodafone are in the final stages of hammering out a deal to bring the iPhone to Europe. The source expects an official iPhone announcement in the coming weeks, but only after Apple and Vodafone see eye to eye on a couple of issues.
It seems that Vodafone may not be as willing to bend to Apple’s will as AT&T was – says Gartner Inc. analyst, Ken Dulaney, “We don’t think they want to give up that much control.”
- Vodafone wants the YouTube application to work more like the web-based version (could a Flash update be on the way?)
- Make the iPhone sync calendar and email
- Better security and firewalls
- A re-worked and simplified WiFi security process
- And the sought-after “cut and paste” feature in the iPhone’s Safari browser
Now that Vodafone and Apple are actually getting down to the nitty-gritty negotiations, we’re just gonna sit back and wait for the iPhone to launch in Europe. Just kidding, we’ll keep you updated, as always.