Verizon Wireless has recently unveiled Usage Controls, an easy-to-use online service providing customers and their children the ability to better manage and control how they use their mobile phones.
The new service expands and enhances features first introduced last year with Parental Controls, allowing customers to:
- Set thresholds for voice minutes;
- Set specific limits for text, picture, instant and video messaging as part of pay-as-you-go or message bundle plans;
- Set time of day restrictions for data use and messaging;
- Create lists of “trusted” and “blocked” numbers; and
- Employ content filters.
Usage Controls is available for $4.99 per line per month. Customers must have a Nationwide Calling Plan, either Family Share or single line.
In addition, Verizon has also unveiled what they call “Chaperone 2.0,” a 10-buck a month service that offers parents a full family security solution, which provides assurance as to where children are and what services they are using. With Chaperone 2.0, parents gain:
- The ability to locate multiple Chaperone Child devices at the same time;
- Family SMS Messaging that allows a text message to be sent to one or more Chaperone Child phones from the Chaperone Parent application or Chaperone website;
- Changes to the Child Zone settings, allowing parents to add time and date settings or multiple children per Child Zone;
- Integration with VZ Navigator – allows parents with VZ Navigator to receive turn-by-turn directions to their child’s location; and
- An improved Chaperone Web site that’s easier to use.