Lots of BlackBerry Storm news and ‘leaked’ documents hitting the web lately. But none of note have been as big as this in my opinion. Here comes the BlackBerry Application Center!
In the image above, you’ll see a first look at RIM’s response to the iPhone App Store. The App Center is slated to launch on the BlackBerry Storm 4.7 OS and will allow users to find, browse, install/upgrade 3rd party apps on their Berry. The Application Center will in essence be the main interface between the end user and the carrier.
The App Center will have a device side application and a server side backend app hosted by RIM. However, the carriers will be responsible for hosting the apps they wish to offer to their own customers. This will give the carriers control over what apps to put up in their branded version of the App Center.
BlackBerry App Center Key Features:
- The Application Center will be available on 4.7 Storm devices and will be designed for the Storm touch screen UI.
- Carriers will be responsible for hosting the application data and sending updates to the directory to RIM.
- The main application screen will provide the user with a list of all applications that are available for install from the particular carrier for the specific device model and OS version. Incompatible applications will not be displayed.
- The main screen will provide the user the ability to quickly browse the application list, then view the available information about each application in a detailed description screen which shows the logo and full description. Installation will occur with one click (launches the web browser).
- The user will be able to access the Options > Applications screen from within the App Center (allowing the user to delete applications directly from within the App Center).
- The user will be provided with various status info: date the app list was most recently updated; notification that updates are available; option to reapplication list was completed, etc.
- Since the download and installation will be handled by the browser in this first release, the Application Center will not be capable of restarting the application / download intelligently.
- The Application Center will automatically check for updates daily.
Big thanks to Kevin for breaking this. Look for more and more news on the App Center in the days and weeks ahead. Exciting stuff!