Just when we saw that leaked video of Nokia E72, the Finnish giant decided to push the button and announce the new device to the world. My initial impression is – WOW! It seems that the E72 fixes all the “problems” (if I could call them problems at all) of its predecessor – E71, and it even looks better.
Here’s what’s improved in the E72 when compared to the E71:
- 5 megapixel camera as opposed to E71’s 3.2 megapixels
- standard 3.5mm audio jack as opposed to 2.5mm
- new version of Quickoffice which can sing along Microsoft Office 2007 files
- I also guess the E72 runs Symbian S60 3.2 (Feature pack 2) like AT&T’s E71x — E71 runs S60 3.1
- slightly improved keyboard, like the one found on the E63
Rest of the specs seem identical — we still wait for Forum Nokia to include the E72 in their list of devices when we’ll have all the specs — and include a GPS, WiFi, HSPA, Bluetooth, QVGA screen… you name it.
The Nokia E72 is expected to begin shipping in late Q3 2009 at an estimated retail price of 350 EUR before taxes and subsidies.
Update: Stefan here, Dusan is traveling today, and it looks like Forum Nokia finally uploaded the E72 to their website! It’s also on Nokia’s consumer website; not to mention Nokia’s Press site uploaded the datasheet (PDF file). Here are the highlights:
- 114 x 59.5 x 10.1 mm
- Three colors: Zodium Black, Metal Grey, Topaz Brown
- 128 g
- 2.36 inch display, 16.7 million colors
- Micro USB
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Compass + GPS
- 1500 mAh battery
- GSM talk/standby: 12.5 hours/20 days
- 3G talk/standby: 6 hours/24 days
- Quad Band EDGE
- Tri Band HSPA! There will be two versions, one is 850/1900/2100 (NAM), the other is 900/1900/2100 (EU + ASIA)
- HSDPA maxes out at 10.2 Mbps; HSUPA maxes out at 2 Mbps
- WiFi b/g
- 640 x 480 video recording @ 15 frames per second
- And yes, Dusan’s hunch was correct, it runs S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2
Update: Stefan here again, one more thing, Mark from the Nokia Blog found some live pictures, told Engadget about them, and now I’ve embedded them after the jump!
Update: Third update, happy I’m not blasting your RSS reader with posts yet? Nokia Conversations uploaded this video. Towards the end there is a shot of the E72 in all 3 colors, I’ve taken a screen grab and posted it after the jump.
Update: Fourth update, only because I know how much people love comparison photos. These come from A Bugged Life:
E72 left, E71 right:
E72 bottom, E71 top:
Update: Fifth update: more live pictures added after the jump, this time from VR-Zone.