Today, HTC announced their first official Windows Mobile 6.5 handset, the Touch2, heralded earlier by leaked pics and specs of the device code-named Mega. Of course all the other new HTC Windows Mobile smartphones, like the Touch Pro 2 , will be upgradeable to 6.5, but the Touch2 will be launching with it on October 6th., and spreading to European and Asian markets throughout Q4 2009.
The HTC Touch2 (Mega) is aimed at the mid-range market. It features all the latest smartphone features you’d expect from an HTC device, but comes with a more affordable price tag. You won’t be getting TouchFLO 3D on the HTC Touch2, but the TouchFLO 2D UI is still darn spiffy! Here’s a quick spec run-down:
- Processor: Qualcomm MSM7225, 528 MHz
- Operating System: Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional
- Memory ROM: 512 MB
- RAM: 256 MB
- Dimensions (LxWxT): 104 X 55 X 12.9 mm (4.1 X 2.16 X 0.51 inches)
- Weight: 110 grams (4 ounces) with battery
- Display: 2.8-inch TFT-LCD touch-sensitive screen with QVGA resolution
- HSPA/WCDMA: Europe/Asia: 900/2100 MHz, up to 384 kbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: Europe/Asia: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Device Control: Zoom bar
- GPS: Internal GPS antenna
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 2.1 with Enhanced Data Rate and A2DP for wireless stereo headsets, Wi-Fi: IEEE 802.11 b/g, 3.5 mm audio jack, HTC ExtUSB (11-pin mini-USB 2.0)
- Camera: 3.2 megapixel color camera with fixed focus
Of course, Windows Mobile 6.5 will be bringing goodies like the Windows Marketplace for Mobile, an improved Internet Explorer and My Phone cloud for backing up and sharing your mobile content; it’ll be interesting to see how TouchFLO works on the new OS, too. For a closer look, check out the Touch2 minisite.