With the unveiling of the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X2, the Swedish-Japanese handset maker has launched the Panel SDK to encourage developers to do what they do best for Sony Ericsson’s Panel UI. Using the Panel SDK, which includes a tool called “Panelizer,” developers can turn their mobile app into homescreen panel’s for the XPERIA X2 at the click of a button.
Panelizer allows devs to turn “Flash, Java and Windows Mobile applications into” the homescreen panels that we’ve come to love on the XPERIA X1 and now on the X2. There’s also a “a native software development kit which allows developers to be the first to create panels for the Windows Mobile 6.5 platform.”
Apps that get accepted as panels will find a new home in Sony Ericsson’s app market, dubbed the PlayNow Arena. That will allow devs to get their wares out to Sony Ericsson’s global customer-base.
Interested? Here’s how you submit your app to become a Sony Ericsson Panel:
- Developers can submit their applications by following these simple steps:
- Go to Sony Ericsson’s Developer World website http://developer.sonyericsson.com
- Download the Panel SDK and follow the short Panel SDK tutorial
- Go to http://submit.sonyericsson.com and upload ‘Panelized’ applications
- Within 30 days the submission approval process will be complete. Successful applications are automatically available for wider usage on PlayNow™ arena.