If you accidentally updated your iPhone 3G/3GS to the latest iPhone OS 3.1/3.1.2, then you’re also stuck with baseband version 05.11. If you recently bought a factory fresh iPhone 3GS with OS 3.1 or 3.1.2 already loaded, then you’re in the same boat. That used to be a bad thing, because baseband 05.11 couldn’t be unlocked to work with unofficial SIM cards. Today’s release of “blacksn0w” changes all that. The blacksn0w software unlock utility is now available to unlock any iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS running the latest iPhone OS 3.1.2 and baseband 05.11!
Yes, that includes brand new, out-of-the-box, iPhone 3GS’s.
If you’re running an older version of the baseband (04.26), simply jailbreak your iPhone and run Ultrasn0w. You can find your baseband firmware version by navigating to Settings>General>About>Modem Version on your iPhone. We have jailbreak (PwnageTool) directions here and unlock (ultrasn0w) directions here.
For the rest of you in the “baseband 05.11” boat, keep reading for a step-by-step tutorial to unlock your iPhone…
- First, you’ll need to jailbreak your iPhone. We’re going to use the blackra1n jailbreak utility for this guide. You can use PwnageTool, but it will require you download blacksn0w separately. Just follow this guide and you’ll be fine. (if you’re already jailbroken, skip to the unlock section)
- Download blackra1n from blackra1n.com (choose Mac or PC version)
- Extract blackra1n to your desktop
- Execute blackra1n with a double-click
- Connect your iPhone 3G/3GS to your computer
- Click “make it ra1n”
- Your iPhone will reboot
- You’ll see geohot’s picture upon reboot
- Let blackra1n do it’s thing and wait for reboot
- Once rebooted, you’ll be told your iPhone is now jailbroken
- Now you’ll unlock your iPhone 3G/3GS’s baseband (version 05.11 only) – check your baseband version by navigating to Settings>General>About>Modem Version on your iPhone.
- Find the “ra1n” app on your homescreen and run it
- Hit the “sn0w” button
- Let the app work its magic, it’s unlocking your baseband
- Once your iPhone 3G/3GS is unlocked, you’ll be prompted to close the app
- Enjoy your unlocked iPhone! (remember to disable “3G Data” if you’re on T-Mobile USA)
- You’ll notice that “Cydia” is now installed on your homescreen. This is your jailbreak appstore, it’s your new best friend.
Note: If you want to remove the “ra1n” app, simply fire up the app again and select the “Uninstall blackra1n” option