Opera just published their latest issue of their State of the Mobile Web report. Users who run the Opera Mini application that enables faster web surfing on slow devices, or devices connected to slow networks, provide a rich set of data that Opera could parse through and produce such a report. Earlier this month Opera Mini was approved by Apple for submission into the App Store, and has quickly become the most popular application in many countries. While this issue of “State of the Mobile Web” doesn’t include any iPhone data, Opera did give us a preview of what they’re finding.
But before we dive into the iPhone data, let’s look at March:
- 55.2 million users, a 9.3% increase from February 2010 and up 140% compared to March 2009
- 25.8 billion pages transcoded, 17.4% increase from February, since March 2009 page views have increased 200%
- 396 million MB spit out by Opera Mini servers, increase of 19.8% from February, since March 2009 it’s up 166%
- Top 10 countries in the EU that use Opera Mini, in order: United Kingdom, Poland, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Netherlands and Finland
- Usage figures from Finland, because hey … it’s where I live: 82.0% year over year growth for page views, 90.4% year over year growth for number of users, average of 179 page views per month per user and 7 MB per user per month
- Top 10 devices (by volume) using Opera Mini:
Nokia 5130 XpressMusic
Nokia 5310 XpressMusic
- Top 10 devices that use Opera Mini the most; number in () is page views per user per month:
Sony Ericsson W900i (1,708)
Nokia E63 (1,141)
Sanyo SCP-2700 (1,068)
Sony Ericsson K800 (1,004)
Sony Ericsson W302 (1,000)
Samsung SPH-M810 (974)
LG LX265 (931)
Sony Ericsson W508 (928)
Nokia 3500 (897)
Nokia E71 (870)
You’ve made it down this far, so I’m assuming you want iPhone stats: In the less than 1 month Opera Mini for iPhone has been available, the iPhone has become the 3rd most popular device to use the service. The iPhone blasts past BlackBerry to become the number 1 device accessing Opera Mini in the USA. Due to the iPhone alone, USA jumped from 8th most active country using Opera Mini to 5th.
More details about iPhone usage coming next month!
[Via: Press Release]