Winamp is now ready for business on the Android platform as it leaves its beta stages for a full, version 1.0 release for the general public. The nice thing about the Winamp media player for Android is, well, it’s not the default media player on Android, which is terrible. Unless you’re already using and in love with DoubleTwist, you might want to give Winamp a shot.
The app allows you to sync with iTunes, and it lets you sync content between your Android smartphone and PC over Wi-Fi or a USB connection. Here are some of the features you can get with the app, too:
- Wireless Desktop Sync – In addition to the standard USB sync, Winamp for Android offers Wi-Fi sync with the Winamp desktop client.
- iTunes Library – A stand-out feature of the WAFA app is the ability it affords users to import all music and playlists from iTunes.
- Mobile Media Library – WAFA is a complete Android media management solution that seamlessly updates a user’s music library when changes are made either on the device or the desktop
- SHOUTcast Radio – Users can access one of the world’s largest radio directories; browse by genre; bookmark favorite directory listings, and view recent listening history
- Persistent Player Controls – Always available controls allow users to quickly pause, change tracks, manage play queue and gracefully navigate through the application.
- Widget Players & Shortcuts – Users can add playlist shortcuts along with a functional widget player to the Android home screen and also directly control playback from the lock-screen.
- Now Playing – This feature displays song info, album art, artist bios, photos and discography. Users can press and hold on the track info to interact with other related apps installed on their phone like Pandora, YouTube and the Amazon MP3 store.
- Scrobbling – WAFA supports scrobbling with the Last.fm app when both are installed, capturing users’ mobile listening history in real time.
- Ongoing innovation of WAFA will include the addition of new features and upgrades over time, including Podcast support, tablet support and more.
For additional features and info, check out the full press release on the next page.