IntoMobile

Breaking news, information, and analysis on the latest mobile phones and mobile technology

Open NavigationOpen Search
  • Home
  • Platforms
    • iOS / iPhone OS
    • Android
    • Windows Phone
    • BlackBerry OS
  • Hardware
    • New Hardware
    • Tablets
    • Reviews
    • Rumors
  • Carriers
    • AT&T
    • Sprint
    • T-Mobile
    • Verizon
  • Manufacturers
    • Apple
    • Samsung
    • HTC
    • LG
    • Motorola
  • Best VPNs
  • Best AI Tools

Symbian Foundation Doomed to Shutting Down?

October 24, 2010 by Marc Flores - 4 Comments

Share on Twitter Share on Facebook ( 0 shares )

The Symbian Foundation has dark days ahead as employees and executives leave the company and funding dwindling down. The aging mobile platform did nothing but hurt the otherwise relatively decent piece of hardware we know as the Nokia N8. In an uphill battle against Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android, it looks like Symbian might be considering closing up shop.

According to The Register:

But a source close to Symbian has told The Reg that Holbrow has been appointed to wind down operations and that Foundation employees are being offered redundancy packages.

Symbian would not confirm or deny, but it said the group’s board is reviewing strategy. “The future business strategy for the Symbian Foundation is still under review by the board. As no decisions have been made, we will not be offering further comment,” Symbian said.

While it isn’t completely certain, the outlook is grim. Earlier this week we announced that Lee Williams, former Symbian CEO, stepped down from his position and was immediately replaced by CFO Tim Holbrow. Symbian says that this change will be permanent.

There is, however, more to just considering future options:

The group did confirm that Holbrow is a permanent replacement for Williams, indicating Symbian’s focus is now operations rather than technology or community development, by virtue of Holbrow’s financial background. Williams ascended to lead the Foundation after working on the Nokia N60 [sic]. Symbian’s fiscal year starts in April, meaning Holbrow’s got six months to wrap things up. Otherwise, business spills over into the new financial year.

Abandoning tech and community development to focus strictly on operations is not a good sign. Furthermore, it seems that Nokia and Samsung are the only manufacturers pulling to support the Symbian Foundation. With limited funding and a major change in executive staff, it’s difficult to see the company and its last another year.

[Via: The Register]

Share on Twitter Share on Facebook ( 0 shares )

Back to top ▴

Back to top ▴

Follow IntoMobile

38k
36k
4k
13k
12k

Most Recent Posts

  • Samsung rolls out One UI 8.5 to Galaxy Tab S11 series, expands S23 availability globally
  • AT&T expands eSIM service for international travelers ahead of summer soccer events
  • Major US telecom operators unite to fight AI-powered cyber threats
  • Samsung Galaxy S27 Pro to feature 6.47-inch OLED display in new four-model lineup
  • iQOO Pad 6 Pro arrives with Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 5 and gaming focus

Get Updates Via E-Mail

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

About IntoMobile

  • About IntoMobile
  • Contact IntoMobile
  • Send us News Tips
  • Privacy Policy

Social Links

  • IntoMobile on Facebook
  • IntoMobile on Twitter
  • IntoMobile on Google+
  • IntoMobile on YouTube

Copyright © 2006-2021 IntoMobile. All rights reserved.