Remember when Samsung started showing off their Samsung i780 Windows Mobile smartphone? Remember how the mobile world was split on whether that optical trackpad/mouse was a good fit with the touchscreen handset? Right, well Samsung has finally gone live with the first smartphone to feature a built-in optical mouse.
Following on the FCC’s approval of the Samsung i788, which is the US version of the Samsung i780, AT&T has launched the handset as the Samsung Epix. As we mentioned previously, AT&T seems to have ditched the “BlackJack” moniker in favor of a more “epic” brand. The US will be seeing the Samsung BlackJack III hitting retail shelves as the Samsung Epix.
The Samsung Epix features a quad-band (850/900/1800/1900Mhz) GSM/EDGE radio, making the handset a world-traveller. And, with a tri-band (850/900/2100Mhz) UMTS/HSDPA radio (capable of 3.6Mbps HSDPA speeds) to ensure compatibility with any 3G network in the world, jet-setters will be happy to know that they can make voice calls and surf the high-speed wireless web anywhere in the world with their AT&T Samsung Epix.
The rest of the Samsung Epix’s spec-sheet reveals everything we would expect from the latest Windows Mobile Professional smartphone from Samsung. Rounding out the feature-set is the WiFi radio 2 megapixel camera, Bluetooth 2.0, and microSD card slot (expandable up to 32GB). And, let’s not forge that optical touchpad sitting above the time-tested QWERTY keyboard.
Keep reading for a full rundown on the Samsung Epix’s specifications and our gallery of Samsung Epix pics.
Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
• Quad-band (850/900/1800/1900MHz) GPRS/EDGE
• Tri-band (850/1900/2100MHz) 3.6Mbps UMTS/HSDPA
• GPS (AT&T Navigator)
• Integrated 2.0 Megapixel Camera
• QWERTY Keyboard with Optical Mouse
• Bluetooth® Wireless Technology (v 2.0)
• Multimedia Message Service
• Threaded 2-Way Text Message
• Flash Memory: 256MB Internal ROM/Up to 150MB Internal RAM
• microSD™ External Memory Slot supports up to 32GB memory cards
• Video Share
• Dimensions: 4.6” x 2.4” x 0.5”
• Weight: 4.4 ounces
• Display: 2.5”, 320 x 320 Pixels, 65K,TFT Color
• Battery: 3.7 Volt Lithium Ion,1800mAh
• Talk Time: Up to 7 hours
• Standby Time: Up to 14 days