Tired of reading about all those luckyG1 owners that have been getting their Android OS RC29 over-the-air update? Can’t wait any longer to see how Android RC29 improves your user experience?
Well, fret no more, dear reader. You can now force your T-Mobile G1 to update itself to the latest Android OS version (RC29). You’ll need to have your microSD card handy and be within reach of your G1 and your computer in order to update your T-Mobile G1.
Then, once you’ve ensured that your T-Mobile G1 is fully charged (or at least charged to 80%) and you’ve come to terms with the risk of turning that shiny new T-Mobile G1 into an overpriced paperweight (seriously, there’s a minor yet real risk of bricking your G1 by doing this), follow the guide below:
- Download the T-Mobile G1 Android RC29 update file here, here, or here. (Download to Desktop)
- Rename the file from signed-kila-ota-115247-prereq.TC4-RC19+RC28.zip to update.zip
- Copy the newly renamed “update.zip” file to root directory (base level, no folders) of your microSD card
- Disconnect your T-Mobile G1 from your computer if you used the data cable to access the microSD card
- Turn off the handset by holding down the “Power” button
- Turn it back on while holding down the “Power” (End Call) and “Home” buttons
- When you see “Triangle” icon, open the keyboard and press “Alt” and “L” simultaneously
- When you see some yellow text, press “Alt” and “S” simultaneously
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Press “Home” and “Back” buttons simultaneously when you’re done and ready to reboot
- The G1 will reboot as it does its thing – let it do so.
- Enjoy the new RC29 update!
If you run into an error mounting the microSD card that came bundled with your T-Mobile G1, try using a different microSD card.
Again, you run a very real possibility of bricking your T-Mobile G1 by updating it yourself. Making sure your battery is fully charged and that you disconnect the G1 from your computer before updating will help ensure a smooth update. Should things go awry, however, you’re on your own. (T-Mobile will likely help you out, but it’s not going to be a fun or speedy process)
[Via: xda dev]
Sell Your Old Cell Phone for Cash
Select your device below to begin:
Buy a New Cell Phone
Best Sellers from AT&T
New Releases from AT&T
See all cell phones from AT&T
Best Sellers from Sprint
New Releases from Sprint
See all cell phones from Sprint
Best Sellers from Verizon
New Releases from Verizon
See all cell phones from Verizon