*NOTE* This will likely void your warranty, and you should do this at your own risk. We take no responsibility if you turn your Vibrant into a paperweight.
This method will allow you to give root access to root-only applications. There are currently no custom ROMs for the device yet, so if that is what you’re looking for, you may want to wait it out a little longer until custom ROMs have been developed. We’re looking out for CyanogenMod 6 down the road!
So let’s get started:
- Download this file and rename it to “update.zip”
- On your Vibrant, go to Settings > Applications > USB Settings > and select Mass Storage.
- Connect your Vibrant to your computer, and mount as a mass storage device by pulling down the notification bar at the top of the screen.
- Back on your computer, look for a new drive. We’re looking for the Internal Storage, not the External, so make sure you open the drive that does NOT have the Avatar movie in it.
- Copy (drag and drop) the update.zip file to the Internal Storage.
- Turn off the phone.
- Hold down the volume up and down buttons while turning the Vibrant on, which will bring you to the recovery mode.
- To navigate in Recovery, use volume up and down to move, and Power button to select. Select ‘Reinstall Packages“
- After installed, your phone will reboot, and will have the Superuser app, as well as Busybox installed.
- You’re Rooted!
Easy enough, right? Froyo action.‘s first super Android device is already a winner with the hackers, and it seems like the average consumer seems to like it as well. Now all we have to wait for is some custom ROMs, or an official OTA to get some
Go get some root apps to hold you over until a custom ROM becomes available!
Sell Your Old Cell Phone for Cash
Select your device below to begin:
Buy a New Cell Phone
Best Sellers from AT&T
New Releases from AT&T
See all cell phones from AT&T
Best Sellers from Sprint
New Releases from Sprint
See all cell phones from Sprint
Best Sellers from Verizon
New Releases from Verizon
See all cell phones from Verizon