Nokia’s Ovi Services Gain Momentum
200,000 People Sign Up Daily; Ovi Store Downloads Increase to 2.3 Million per Day; 70 Developers Each Surpass the 1 Million Download Mark
ESPOO, Finland, October 1, 2010 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — With the number of active Nokia (NYSE: NOK) service users now reaching 140 million worldwide, the company today announced that more than 200,000 people are currently signing up daily to Ovi, and that Ovi Store has reached the milestone of 2.3 million downloads per day. Available in more than 190 countries, Ovi is discovered through Maps, Music, Messaging, Store and in select countries, Life Tools.
The growing popularity of the Ovi experience has also led to 70 developers and publishers each surpassing the million download mark for their content in the Ovi Store. Developers and publishers reaching and moving past this milestone include Digital Chocolate, Electronic Arts, Gameloft, Indiagames, PepsiCo, Qik, Shazam, HeroCraft and Offscreen Technologies. HeroCraft, a publisher of content that includes the game Farm Frenzy, has received more than 10 million downloads, and Offscreen, a developer of a variety of touchscreen apps, has more than 45 million. The complete list by geography is available at forum.nokia.com* It includes 39 content creators from Europe, the Middle East and Africa; 14 from the United States; ten from Asia Pacific; and seven from China.
“At Nokia, we believe that connecting people with great mobile experiences is at the heart of what Ovi is all about,” said Tero Ojanpera, executive vice president, Services, Nokia. “Today people discover Ovi through Maps, Music, Messaging, Store and Life Tools. With a new generation of amazing devices, like the Nokia N8, developers are looking at Ovi as a good business decision and a chance to innovate and create next-generation mobile experiences for our family of new Symbian smartphones.”
Other milestones include:
– An updated Ovi Store experience – debuting on the newly available Nokia N8 and coming to the full range of new Symbian smartphones – giving a friendlier look and feel, faster content discovery and more popular content choices such as foursquare and the smash hit game Angry Birds.
– Improvements for developers including new development tools and benefits such as free Java and Symbian signing, in-app purchase and beta in-app advertising programs, improved revenue share and advanced developer analytics.
– Significant enhancements to the Nokia Qt Software Development Kit (SDK) have resulted in a 70 percent reduction in the number of lines of code required when developing for the company’s family of Symbian smartphones.
– Continued expansion of Ovi Maps around the world and the integration of more new features. Walk and drive navigation is available in 78 countries and 46 languages and includes public transit details in more than 80 cities, and features such as check-in that supports location as the new social connector. Every day, maps usage is the equivalent of driving around the world 80 times.
– Available in 38 markets around the world and with approximately 11 million tracks in the global catalogue, Ovi Music is complemented by the popular interconnected Gig Finder app that uses personal music preferences to find relevant entertainment venues. Nokia is the largest single source of digital downloaded music revenue in Brazil, Mexico, India, Finland and South Africa.
– Ovi Mail and Ovi Chat have surpassed 17 million accounts, Nokia Messaging currently delivers push email and instant messaging to an active user base of 4 million people, and new social networking features on the Nokia N8 and other new Symbian-powered devices enhance Facebook and Twitter with a more seamless experience.
– In less than a year, Ovi Life Tools and its agricultural, educational and entertainment services for entry markets has attracted more than 4.7 million subscribers in China, India and Indonesia.
Ovi is designed to be the perfect complement to a Nokia device. It connects the real world with what is relevant in the digital world – resulting in an enriched mobile lifestyle marked by easy access to popular apps and games, the world’s best maps, millions of locally relevant music choices, great messaging capabilities, and information tools for everyday life in emerging markets.
* See link to Forum Nokia blog post.
Due to the length of this URL, it may be necessary to copy and paste the hyperlink into your Internet browser’s URL address field. Remove the space if one exists.
At Nokia, we are committed to connecting people. We combine advanced technology with personalized services that enable people to stay close to what matters to them. Every day, more than 1.3 billion people connect to one another with a Nokia device – from mobile phones to advanced smartphones and high-performance mobile computers. Today, Nokia is integrating its devices with innovative services through Ovi (http://www.ovi.com), including music, maps, apps, email and more. Nokia’s NAVTEQ is a leader in comprehensive digital mapping and navigation services, while Nokia Siemens Networks provides equipment, services and solutions for communications networks globally.