The Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread update that was announced yesterday, which gives devices a native video chat client through Google Talk has been found on the internet already. Instead of waiting for the OTA to be pushed to your handset, you can take matters into your own hands. Nexus S users that are currently running the GRI40 Gingerbread build can update to Android 2.3.4 easily, and here’s how.
1. Download the 2.3.4 build from here
2. Rename this file to update.zip (If your operating system automatically hides file extensions, rename the file to ‘update’, so you avoid renaming the file to update.zip.zip)
3. Connect the Nexus S to the computer and mount the internal memory drive.
4. Place the file (update.zip) into the root of the internal memory (inside no folders)
5. Turn off the phone, and power it on by holding Volume Up + Power at the same time.
6. Using the volume keys, navigate to Recovery, and press power to execute,
7. The phone will give you a screen with a triangle, to get access to the Recovery options, hold power and press the volume up key.
8. With your volume keys, go to “update” option, and press power to begin the process.
After the process is complete, reboot your phone and you should be running on the latest and greatest version of the OS, with a native video chat client that’s not limited to WiFi.